Listen on the player above, or download this week’s episode as an mp3 here (right-click, “save as.”)
This week on the Frotcast, Matt Louv, the Museum of Comedy, returns to the Frotquarters to read us his favorite OKCupid email come ons and subsequent rejection emails. This leads to a discussion of Mystery and the pick-up artist phenomenon, and finally, we have a fairly heated discussion about Aaron Sorkin’s new show, News Night. The Newsroom. Whatever. That starts at the 53-minute mark, and leads to some heated debate about idealizing the past, hearing your parents scream about Twitter, Baby Boomers, the liberal elite, the state of journalism, and smarm in general. Oh, and of course, we update the status of the Fantasy Summer Box Office game.
Subscribe on iTunes. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Voicemail us at 415.275.0030. Follow me on Twitter. Follow Laremy on Twitter. Follow Ben on Twitter. Download the Stitcher App and stream the Frotcast to your iPhone or Android device.
More detailed notes after the jump, courtesy of Adam.
- 00:03:00 – Vince recently saw Queen of Versailles, a documentary about a billionaire Florida couple and their time-share business hit hard by the economic crisis. Brendan shares a some family news. Guest Matt Louv and Vince talk shop (open mics) a bit.
- 00:11:07 – Fantasy Film Box Office talk. Ben is still leading the way by a large margin.
- 00:18:05 – Museum of Comedy Matt Louv reads some of his emails sent to OK Cupid profiles and some of the responses he got. The guys talk about online dating, key words in profiles to avoid, and photo tropes. Favorite pickup lines or anti-pickup lines are brought up, as well as Mystery the Pickup Artist.
- 0053:05 – The guys review Aaron Sorkin’s new smarmy show The Newsroom. Vince plays some clips, Brendan yells, and Bret stands up for the show. There is talk of Sorkin’s prickishness, internet opinionators, and the objectivism in journalism and news. The Sorkinism supercut gets some play.
- 01:26:20 – The Miami Zombie story seems to have come to a conclusion. Only marijuana was found in his system.