Listen on the player above, or download this week’s episode as an mp3 here (right-click, “save as.”)
This week on the Frotcast, SF comedian Matt Lieb drops by. We play a clip of Joe King’s test podcast in which Joe tries to figure out which J. Lo movie his mom likes and which anime show involves “a little Asian boy on roller skates who solves crime.” We’ve got new clips of Aaron Sorkin hating the internet on the Newsroom, Matt tells us how he started shooting heroin when he was 16, and we talk about The Dark Knight Rises, which, incredibly, all five of us have seen. We bring up Armond White’s article, which makes a couple good points about the culture’s infatuation with sociopathic characters, even while completely crapping on itself with terrible ones. We let Bret talk for a while. Then we let Fake Bret talk for a while. We discuss Tony Robbins and his giant wallet teeth. Somehow we end up talking about bloodfeathers, which starts as a feather that can kill a peacock and turns into a Twilight character who is Renesmee’s nemesis. Brendan does a palsied Michael Caine impression. A lot. We talk about Twilight. We talk about Kristen Stewart and what a slutty little cheater she is. I try to explain about the Shrek-looking British chick that always makes Twilight videos. That about covers it.
COME TO MY COMEDY SHOWS! July 31st! August 11th with Jerrod Carmichael! August 30th WITH JOE KING! November 3rd or 11tth, live Frotcast in Chicago.
Subscribe on iTunes. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Voicemail us at 415.275.0030. Follow me on Twitter. Follow Ben on Twitter. Download the Stitcher App and stream the Frotcast to your iPhone or Android device. Fan us on Facebook.
Time-stamped notes below, courtesy of Adam:
- 00:01:20 – Vince starts things off by introducing guest Matt Lieb with a clip of his stand-up where he offends an audience member. Joe King is testing the podcast waters with an idea of interviewing old people, and Vince plays a clip of Joe talking to his mom and grandmother about movies. There’s some talk about drugs, a classic episode of Intervention, adventures in the Tenderloin, and peacock blood feathers.
- 00:24:45 – Vince brought some Newsroom clips this week featuring the usual internet hate and some Rush Limbaugh outrage. The guys talk some more drugs, especially about the craft and science behind obtaining/injecting them, and that one drug that makes your skin fall off.
- 00:35:22 – Banana hands Tony Robbins made the news this week for one of his seminars where people suffered burns from walking on hot coals.
- 00:43:10 – The Dark Knight Rises talk. There be spoilers.
- 00:54:12 – It’s been a while, but Armond White gets discussed. This week he wrote a piece about the Aurora incident, the media’s focus on gun control, and Christopher Nolan’s films. The guys talk about causal relationships with culture and media, social commentary, sociopaths, ambiguity and conflict in films, and majoring in Communications. Fake Bret makes an appearance.
- 01:18:54 – The guys get into the hot topic of K-Stew cheating on R-Patz, the subsequent public apology, the Shrek of Twilight, K-Stew’s attractiveness and perceived personality, and the actual films themselves. Bret got caught reading Vogue, Matt talks about forcing himself to watch a Tyler Perry movie, and some more dog talk.