The Avengers smashed several box office records this weekend, but, more importantly, gives me an excuse to post a few funny pictures I found this weekend. Stick with us, folks. This is going to be a long one.
The most impressive record they smashed was the one for the biggest opening weekend of all time. Disney estimates the film raked in $200.3 million at North American theaters over the weekend, compared to the previous largest opening of $169.2 million ($172M after inflation) for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. It would have probably done even better if IMAX theaters had enough seats to meet demand.
We’re not sure how much they would have made with sufficient IMAX seating, but do you know who’s awesome at math and could help Disney, Marvel, and Paramount count all the money? This guy:
Here’s a quick overview of the records The Avengers broke this weekend in addition to those records it already broke overseas:
- They made an estimated $80.5 million on Friday, the second-largest one-day total of all time after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 ($91.1M). CinemaScore reported on Friday that moviegoers were giving the film an average grade of A+, which suggested there would be great sales through the weekend from word of mouth. Sure enough, The Avengers did even better than the opening day numbers suggested it would do, and now analysts estimate it will make over one billion dollars worldwide. The film hasn’t even opened yet in some profitable markets (like Japan).
- The movie also made an additional $151.5M overseas this weekend.
- The film’s worldwide gross now exceed $640 million. It passed $600 million in sales in only 12 days. It only needs $358.2M more to join the $1 billion club.
- Remember that person you had a huge crush on back in seventh grade? Avengers totally banged them.
- It’s already passed the global box office totals for Iron Man ($585M), Iron Man 2 ($624M), Thor ($449M), and Captain America ($364M).
- Highest per-theater average for a nationwide release ($46,063 per theater, which is crazy high. Those are, like, Delgo numbers.)
- Highest domestic Saturday gross of all time ($69.7M).
- Fastest to $100M. Fastest to $150M. Fastest to $200M. We get it, Avengers. You’re awesome.
- It accounted for 82.7% of grosses for the top 12 movies, which is the second-largest market share ever.
- It was the biggest superhero midnight show opening (8th highest-grossing midnight movie).
- Highest grossing IMAX opening weekend ever.
- Biggest opening weekend of all time in North America, Central America, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, New Zealand, and the Philippines.
- Makes Jeremy Renner so excited you guys.
I bet they did so well because they had a demigod on the team. He’s really got something special. Maybe he’s born with it . . . .
Maybe it’s Mjölnir.
I want more like this!
Follow us on Facebook and get the latest before everyone else.