Could we have found a better picture of Oliver Platt? Would we have wanted to?
Oliver Platt is confirmed to be joining the cast of X-Men: First Class as a “The Man in Black”. The character is not a mutant and is (to my knowledge) not in the comics. Maybe between now and when the film begins production next month in London they’ll let us know what’s up with that. I’m guessing Platt’s character will be a douchebag who doesn’t like mutants and gets in the way, but then ultimately proves useful to them. (Really, Hollywood, Platt can play other characters. He can.)
Also, Rose Byrne (28 Weeks Later, Knowing, “Damages”) is in final negotiations to play Moira MacTaggert, reports THR. MacTaggert is an expert on genetic mutations and is the love interest of Charles Xavier (James McAvoy). Byrne’s been nominated for two Emmys and two Golden Globes, so it’s nice to see a female love interest in a major motion picture who’s not just a bland, pretty husk for the lead to chase after. She may even steal scenes from McAvoy while he’s busy making this face.
Here’s a list of confirmed cast members in X-Men: First Class:
- James McAvoy as Charles Xavier
- Michael Fassbender as Magneto
- Kevin Bacon as one of the villains (identity to be announced)
- Alice Eve as Emma Frost
- Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique
- Nicholas Hoult as Beast
- Comrade Fancy Whiskers as Professor Catsworth
- Caleb Landry Jones as Banshee
- Lucas Till as Havoc
- Edi Gathegi as Darwin
- Jason Flemyng as Azazel
- Chauncey Brookes-Ashdown the guard velociraptor as Himself
- And Jerry Mathers as the Beaver.