Speaking to HitFix tonight in New York City, uber-producer Jerry Bruckheimer broke some news regarding the fourth incarnation of the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise and the previously announced big screen incarnation of the “Lone Ranger.” Both pictures have superstar Johnny Depp in the mix, but Bruckheimer says “Ranger” is not the priority for his longtime home, Walt Disney Pictures.
“I think for Disney it will mostly be ‘Pirates,’ obviously,” Bruckheimer says. “That’s a great franchise for them and for us too. Beloved, with a great character and Johnny’s really excited about coming back to Captain Jack. “
This past April, original “Pirates” trilogy director Gore Verbinski announced he would not helm the fourth installment due to other commitments including the movie adaptation of the popular video game “BioShock.” With that project floundering, HitFix asked Bruckheimer if his former director could return to the swashbuckling seas. The Hollywood veteran clearly left the door open to a return.
“You never know,” Bruckheimer says. “He created the franchise. He had a lot to add to that, but it’s going to be up to him.”
When asked whether Depp preferred to shoot “Lone Ranger” versus a return to Captain Jack, Bruckheimer reiterated that while Depp was interested in Tonto, but “Disney’s priority is to get [a fourth] ‘Pirates’ made.”
Additionally, Bruckheimer said he’d seen some of the early pages of the fourth ‘Pirates’ script, but the always cagey mogul limited his comments to that it’s funny and “it’s a whole new way of going.”
Bruckheimer has the family friendly “G-Force” set for release Aug. 7, but will return to the blockbuster arena next summer with both “Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time” on May 28, 2010 and “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” on July 16, 2010.