Here’s where this job gets tricky.
Earlier today, a rumor started to circulate that Lindsay Lohan was cast in “A Nightmare On Elm Street,” the new remake being mounted by Platinum Dunes, who have their “Friday the 13th” opening today in theaters everywhere. As soon as the rumor hit my desk, I e-mailed Brad Fuller directly, one of the producers of the film.
While waiting on a response, JustJared.com went live with the story, and they included quotes from Andrew Form, Fuller’s partner, in their piece.
Thing is, I just got word back from Fuller that the story isn’t true. At all. And he goes so far as to say that Andrew Form did not comment on the story, and those quotes are not his.
Now, the rumor started from the sorts of sources that most casting rumors do, and it’s as solid as any casting rumor. But in my dealings with Brad Fuller over the last few years, I’ve always found him to be the sort of guy who says “No comment” when he can’t comment, and who otherwise offers straight answers. He doesn’t game the press if he can avoid it. Obviously, with the rumor mill, there’s always a little bit of push and pull going on, and sometimes contracts aren’t finished and people don’t want to say something at the wrong time. But a flat “No truth at all” seems pretty firm to me, and I’m troubled by the idea that Fuller says Form never said anything about Lohan starring in the film.
For now, I’m going to have to call Buzzkill on this one, and we’ll see how things develop. Obviously, they’re going to start casting this now that Samuel Bayer is onboard as director, and hopefully, they’re going to be putting together an interesting cast in the next few weeks. I’m guessing the top priority for Fuller and Form this weekend is some well-deserved celebration over “Friday the 13th,” with thoughts of future films put off to next week.