This has got to be a tad disappointing for Warner Bros. The already over scrutinized box office of “Watchmen” fell 78% from it’s opening day to gross only $5.4 million. Coming in a bit stronger at No. 1 than expected was Walt Disney’s “Race to Witch Mountain.” The reboot of the 70s cult favorite “Escape to Witch Mountain” brought in $6.5 million on Friday for what is expected to be a $22-26 million weekend.
“Watchmen” didn’t even make second place, instead that went to Rogue Pictures critcally underrated “The Last House on the Left” which squeaked by with $5.5 million. Still, by the end of the weekend, “Watchmen” should slide into second with anywhere between $17-19 million and the horror drop off should grant “Last House” a still respectable “$15-17 million. At this rate, “Watchmen’s” final domestic gross should be closer to $105-110 million when all is said and done.
Still plugging along and back in the top five 43 days after its release? “Taken” with another $2 million. Passing January media darling “Paul Blart: Mall Cop” and reaching $150 million doesn’t seem out of bounds for the word of mount hit.
Among other openers, the former Fox Atomic title “Miss March” (released by Fox Searchlight instead) bombed with only $890,000 in 1,742 theaters. The low budget title should do fine on what’s left of the DVD market and countless airings on USA Network or Comedy Central for the next decade.
These are Friday’s top movies according to Box Office Mojo. Look for final figures tomorrow on HitFIx.
1. “Race to Witch Mountain,” $6.75 million
2. “The Last House on the Left,” $5.5 million
3. “Watchmen,” $5.4 million, $73.3 million to date
4. “Taken,” $2 million, $122 million to date
5. “Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes to Jail,” $1.4 million, $79 million to date
6. “Slumdog Millionaire,” $1.3 million, $128 million to date
7. “He’s Just Not That Into You,” $920,000, $87 million to date
8. “Miss March,” $890,000
9. “Paul Blart: Mall Cop,” $860,000, $135 million to date
10. “Coraline,” $660,000, $67 million to date
Are you the only one of your friends without a Wii? HitFix wants to give you a chance to win a Wii console player, a Flip digital camera or an iTunes gift card. Show us your entertainment know how and enter the Knowing movie contest today.
Stay up to date with the latest breaking news in the worlds of movies, TV and music by signing up for HitFix E-mail Alerts.