In what was possibly the most gorgeous display of a Republican inability to govern, Washington was a clusterf*ck of the highest order yesterday.
– Republicans refused to agree on a bailout plan supported by their own commander-in-chief and created by their own Treasury secretary.
– Dems waited for Reps to co-sign the plan — which the right wing refused to do — allowing GOP internal gangrenous rot to fester.
– In the emergency meeting between President Bush, Secretary Paulson and the two presidential candidates, Obama asked myriad questions while McCain remained relatively silent.
– McCain refused to take a stand on the bailout. Period.
– There was an actual screaming match in the Cabinet room of the White House.
– The phrase “golden parachutes” has become the new political pundit catch-phrase. The only news here is I now have a name for my future garage jam band. (Former band names: The Swift Boats, The Dangling Chads, Shock And The Awe, The Extremists.)
– And finally, literal groveling burned up the Harlequin pages of New York Times…
In the Roosevelt Room after the session, the Treasury secretary, Henry M. Paulson Jr., literally bent down on one knee as he pleaded with Nancy Pelosi, the House Speaker, not to “blow it up” by withdrawing her party’s support for the package over what Ms. Pelosi derided as a Republican betrayal….
Ms. Pelosi said… “It’s not me blowing this up, it’s the Republicans.”
Mr. Paulson sighed. “I know. I know.”
If this shit-fest doesn’t secure the White House for Obama, I don’t know that anything would or could. It would just confirm our fears about ignorance reigning supreme over reason and comprehensive thought. After all, we do have a man in power elected by a populace who thought he was the kind of guy you could drink a beer with, therefore making him the best presidential candidate.
You know, they say Rome crumbled from within.
I want more like this!
Follow us on Facebook and get the latest before everyone else.