The national Black family reunion and fish fry known as the BET Awards announced the 2011 nominations yesterday on 106 & Park. Awards shows generally honor the best of the best, yet I’m left with a handful of questions after scanning the list of nominees.
1. Chris Brown received several nominations. Has the blacklisting been completely lifted now?
2. J. Cole gets nominated for “Best New Artist”…but hasn’t dropped an album yet? *Scratches head*
3. Neo-Soul is now called “Centric”? Is this the last stop off for artists before they do gospel plays and Tyler Perry movies?
4. Cee-Lo Green is now R&B music? Is this an omen that he will soon be co-starring alongside Christopher Williams and Al B. Sure in the acclaimed stage play “Momma, A Good Thug Is Hard To Find”?
5. Are those really the five best groups Hip-Hop produced last year?
6. Lola Monroe makes music and we’re taking her seriously?
7. Why don’t they just call “Best Female Hip-Hop Category” “Nicki Minaj And Four Other Losers With Vaginas”?
8. Can you deny any of the songs listed in the “Best Collaboration” category?
9. Does Usher have to actually put out new music anymore the get nominated or is it just a lifetime lock?
10. If Willow Smith doesn’t win “Video Of The Year,” would it be due to age discrimination? If she does win, will it be the result of nepotism?
11. If I say I don’t give a flying f*ck about the Gospel nominees, doth Hell await me?
12. Tyler Perry and Waka Flocka will be in the same building…is the awards show taking place on May 21st?
13. How many of the “Best Movie” nominees did you see by means of bootlegging?
14. Chris Brown is nominated for Best Actor. Alongside Don Cheadle. No question here. Just making sure you read that.
15. I’m glad Alicia’s performing, but does she absolutely have to bring Swizz too?
16. No token white people nominated after the whole Bieber thing last year?
17. Weezy made the list even though he was in jail for a good portion of the calendar year?
18. Should Trina really be salty about not being included…or thankful?
19. Does anyone take the Awards seriously or is it all like church, where people just tune in to see what everybody’s wearing?
20. Wondering if BET will permit us press credentials after reading this? Yeah, same thing I thought.
Feast your eyes on the list of nominees below and try to make sense of it all. If you have answers, please share. The Awards will air live on Sunday, June 26, at 8PM/7c. For more info, visit www.BET.com/BET-awards/2011.
Best Female R&B Artist
Best Male R&B Artist
Diddy Dirty Money
Cali Swag District
Best Female Hip Hop Artist
Best Male Hip Hop Artist
B.o.B ft. Haley Williams of Paramore, “Airplanes”
Chris Brown ft. Lil Wayne & Busta Rhymes, “Look At Me Now”
Kanye West ft. Rihanna, “All of the Lights”
Chris Brown ft. Tyga & Kevin McCall, “Deuces”
Waka Flocka Flame ft. Roscoe Dash & Wale, “No Hands”
Rihanna ft. Drake, “What’s My Name”
Best New Artist
Video of the Year
“Far Away” Marsha Ambrosius
“Airplanes” B.o.B ft. Hayley Williams of Paramore
“Look At Me Now” Chris Brown ft. Lil Wayne & Busta Rhymes
“Pretty Girl Rock”, Keri Hilson
“Whip My Hair” Willow Smith
“Runaway” Kanye West ft. Pusha T
Karen Clark Sheard
BeBe & CeCe Winans
Best International Act (Africa)
2Face Idibia (Nigeria)
D’ Banj (Nigeria)
Fally Ipupa (DR Congo)
Angelique Kidjo (Benin)
Teargas (South Africa)
Best International Act (UK)
Taraji P. Henson
Death at a Funeral
For Colored Girls
The Book of Eli
Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married, Too?
Sportswoman of the Year
Sportsman of the Year
I want more like this!
Follow us on Facebook and get the latest before everyone else.