Was it because I sold my soul, packed my duffle bag and went to South Beach to see LeBron get a ring? Was it because I convince myself every year the Cowboys will win the Super Bowl? Was it because I cried Rick Ross tears of joy when the Celtics and Steelers lost? Was it because I took for granted the NBA and NFL would somehow figure out this STD of a labor situation? Was it because I helped start the Dwight Howard to L.A. rumors not giving a damn how the city of Orlando felt?
Look, whatever it is, I’m sorry. This feels like the part of The Jacksons: The American Dream when Catherine catches Joe cheating. I’m down on bended knee begging the ghosts of James Naismith and Vince Lombardi to make all of this go away. The NFL is already gone. Now, you too, NBA; even though Tom Penn dished out the ultimate flagrant two foul when he said on Pardon The Interruption there’s a 75% next season will be 187’d.
To marginally portray my mortification, peruse these five songs which have taken on an entirely new meaning now that doomsday is here and the athletic rapture has begun.
1. Boyz II Men – “It’s So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday” — It was only yesterday when Wade Phillips led the Cowboys to an amazing 1-7 start and “crygate” in Miami made international news. I didn’t realize it at the time, but things would only get worse.
2. Anthony Hamilton – “I’m A Mess” – Says Anthony:
“I’m so torn up now
Can’t believe I lost you
Lost my best friend, my soul mate
Can’t believe it’s true…”
Truer words have never been spoken.
3. Aaron Hall – “I Miss You” – To commemorate one of saddest events in sports in 20 years, why not show one of the saddest music videos in 20 years?
4. Pocahontas – “Where Do I Go From Here?” – The Coney Island Hot Dog Eating Contest? Pro bass fishing? The Tour de France with no Lance Armstrong? Don’t get me wrong, I like baseball. I really do. But I don’t necessarily start paying attention heavily until late August – which is exactly when football starts. *Chris Bosh tears*
5. N’Sync – “Gone” – Justin’s “So I’ll just hang around and find some things to do to take my mind off missing you” hits so much heavier now. No fantasy football means the Alexandria Assholes will not be able to rebound from a subpar 2010-2011 season, which may be the most understated effect of this whole ordeal. Oh, and don’t act like this song never infiltrated “urban” culture. It was even on 106 & Park during the days of AJ and Free. And Free’s 747.
Related: The NBA Lockout Begins, And For David Stern And Players, The Devil’s In The Details [SBNation]
Bonus: Head on over to Twitter to watch the world help NBA players come up with ways to keep the checks coming in during the work stoppage.
- Archer, Arrested Development, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Comedy Central, Commercials, Community, Conan, Fargo, Game of Thrones, Girls, Homeland, House of Cards, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, John Oliver, Jon Stewart, Justified, Letterman, Louie, Mad Men, Nathan Fielder, Netflix, Orange Is The New Black, Parks and Recreation, Review, Rick and Morty, Seth Meyers, SNL, Sons of Anarchy, South Park, Stephen Colbert, The Americans, The Blacklist, The League, The Leftovers, The Simpsons, The Walking Dead, True Blood, True Detective, Veep
- Geek & Sci-Fi