Despite Patty Mills’ 26 points, Australia’s heart proved to be no match for Team USA. Following their 119-86 rout over the Aussies, let’s break down this game in five points in honor of a traditional starting five.
1. Probably hearing the rumbles on Twitter of his in-progress demise, Kobe Bean Bryant awoke in the second half scoring all 20 of his points highlighted by a crowd pleasing six three pointers. When asked after the game what sparked the resurrengece, Kobe simply said he found something to get mad at. Maybe he remembered Mike Brown was his coach or something.
2. Kevin Love continues to be a street sweeper on the glass. Eleven boards complimented his 10 points as the all-star power forward looks to be an integral part in the remainder of Team USA’s stay across the pond.
3. Chicks dug the long ball back in the late ’90’s. And this American team has completely fallen in love with the three pointer. Team USA shot 19-46 from grown folks range.
4. LeBron’s such a slacker. He needed a ball-hogging seven field goal attempts to notch his first career Olympic triple double with 11 points, 14 rebounds and 11 assists. The Redemption Tour moves forward.
5. Next up, Argentina. No word yet on if Coach K will require his team to wear, um, “protective padding.” You know, since the
Europeans non-Americans* apparently have no problem judo-chopping you in the land down under.* Isn’t that right, Nicolas Batum?
* – Chris Paul, this doesn’t apply to you unfortunately, buddy.
** – Pull that stunt at any court in America and watch you leave without a single tooth in your mouth. And that’s getting away light all things considered.