Next Monday VH1 will tighten its chokehold around the “Hip Hop” reality show genre, by debuting This Is Hot 97, their new show that takes an inside look into the station’s every day happenings. Luckily (or unluckily) for us VH1 decided to give everybody a preview a week early by streaming the first episode in its entirety on their site all week long. I volunteered to watch it and give my thoughts, and, well, let’s just say I should have let Gotty watch.
Allow me to take this to list form real quick.
1. From the gate it’s clear that this is the Ebro show, which is especially cool for me, a native of Sacramento California. A long long time ago, Ebro was just a lowly co-host of a local Sacramento Hip-Hop station, and now he’s one of the most powerful people in urban radio.
2. Also from the gate it’is clear that there is as much “reality” in this show as there is in just about every other VH1 “reality” show, and that is none. The opening segment has everybody feigning being surprised about the cameras, because clearly this show being recorded was a great big surprise nobody at Hot 97 knew about.
3. Suddenly we get Angie Ma and Funk Flex arguing about who has more twitter followers, VH1 wants me to tune into this every week? Speaking of Angie Ma, am I the only one who has had a thing for her since “Ladies Night?” No? Okay cool. Because I would sit through several seasons of this show to smang Ang.
4. Finally, 10 minutes in, the first “celebrity” arrives. Said celebrity? *Drumroll*
5. A few commercial breaks later, celebrity number two pops in and it’s none other than Macklemore. Do they want us to like or hate this show? I can’t tell at this point. Oh wait, Ebro just makes sure to tell us that Macklemore definitely didn’t have the best rap album of the year. Maybe I can like this show.
6. Total Jay Z mentions: 11. Total Jay Z appearances: 0
7. So, the show was one giant buildup to Kanye saying “Bro, I don’t do television” in his job interview voice and suddenly walking away like your NBA 2K players when they get subbed out. Well…alright.
Again, that was pretty bad, but I would gladly binge style sit through several seasons of the show for a shot at making a real reality show with Angie Martinez.
This Is Hot 97 premieres on Monday, March 31 at 10:30 PM ET/ PT on VH1.