If not mistaken, there was a slight bit of controversy behind Denzel Washington taking home the Academy Award for his role in the 2001 cult-classic, Training Day. Not because he won, but rather it took him playing a crooked cop to be recognized after years of groundbreaking performances. Even Jadakiss voiced frustration in his 2004 semi-political call to action, “Why.” Understandable, but the fact still remains, whether racial undertones existed or not, Denzel played the hell out of that role.
Where Jake’s (Ethan Hawke) do-right mentality was such that everyone watching the movie knew he would eventually win out, it was Alonzo whose “grab life by the balls and do it my way or the highway” persona which had people, like me, pulling for the bad cop to come out on top. He didn’t, and that was cool, but let it be known the scene before the Russians squaded up on Zo at the stop light was a personal top five movie moment of all time. It was raw, magnetic and most of all believable. And keep in mind, the scene was shot in the actual hood, Los Angeles’ “The Jungle” (same spot where Waka’s “Hard In The Paint” was filmed). It was this scene of desperation where his downfall was all but decided, but the sheer I-Don’t-Give-A-F*ckness of the moment is what I like to believe won him that Oscar.
While Denzel’s “King Kong…” catchphrase has gone on to subconsciously inspire the likes of Bart Scott’s “Can’t wait!”, there were tons of other nuggets to walk away with from this clip. Consider this a quick lesson in how to dominate a scene with five trill quotes.
1. “I’m gon’ get that gun, and then I’ma get that money. And you ain’t gon’ do a damn thing ’cause you ain’t gon’ shoot no cop in the back, are you?”
Reaction: Ok, so what he eventually got shot in the ass. Surrounded by actual Bloods, a gun to his face and his world collapsing in front of him, Alonzo was still talking that sh*t. And don’t even begin to crack your fingers on that keyboard and tell me it’s just a movie. Let me have my moment.
2. “You disloyal, fool ass, b*tch made punk.”
Reaction: Amazing. How he didn’t get shot saying that with a gun in his face falls slightly behind O-Dog shooting the Chinese couple in the opening scene of Menace II Society in terms of gutsiest move in a movie.
3. “Ahhh, you mothaf*ckas. Ok. Alright, I’m putting cases on all you b*tches! Huh? You think you can do this shit to me? JAKE! You think you can do this to me?! You mothaf*ckas will be playing basketball in Pelican Bay when I get finished with you! SHU program, n*gga! 23 hour lockdown! I’m the man up in this piece!”
Reaction: Un-f*cking-believable. *starts slow clap*
4. “You’ll never see the light of day! Who the f*ck you think you f*cking with? I’m the police! I run shit here! You just live here! Yeah, that’s right, you better walk away. Go on and walk away ’cause I’ma burn this mothf*cka down! KING KONG AIN’T GOT SH*T ON ME!”
Reaction: By now, you’re probably thinking there’s an overdose of exclamation points being used. But there’s not. Run up in someone else’s hood telling them you run that entire block and see if you’ll be speaking sentences that end in periods or question marks. You better go up in there holding your nuts with enough exclamation points to drive your message home. Either way you’ll probably leave in a body bag, but if you put those !’s out there, at least people will know you meant business.
5. “I’m winning any mothaf*ckin’ way. I can’t lose. Shit, you can shoot me, but you can’t kill me.”
Reaction: In a literal sense, yes they can and did, Zo. But I see the bigger picture. I’m pretty sure this is how Pac felt getting out of jail in ’95.
6. “What a day. What a mothaf*ckin’ day.”
Reaction: I say this everyday leaving work.