A sad story gets sadder. On Sunday, many were rocked by the news that actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman died from an alleged drug overdose.
On Monday, CNN cited unnamed source close to the investigation who reveals that close to 50 bags of what’s suspected to be heroin were found in the actor’s Manhattan apartment. The source also alleges that the cops found numerous used syringes, prescription drugs and empty bags that were believed to contain heroin. Hoffman, 46, was found dead on the bathroom floor with a syringe in his left arm, the sources said.
The news came to a shock to film lovers who knew the prolific actor for so many memorable roles. However, not many knew of his struggles with addiction. Hoffman battled substance abuse in the past and was sober for 23 years before falling off the wagon in 2013.
Hoffamn told TMZ that his relapse began with prescription pills before it escalated to snorting heroin. After a short binge, the actor said he realized his trouble and checked into a rehab facility for 10 days.
At the time, Hoffman thanked “a great group of friends and family” for helping him find the treatment he needed.