HBO has done a lot of great things, including The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, somehow forgetting to cancel Entourage for eight seasons in a row.
However, the network’s biggest favor to viewers might have been creating their Catch the Throne mixtape, due out March 11, to promote Game of Thrones‘ upcoming fourth season. Today, fans have seen two tracks released from the upcoming tape, one from Wale and one from Big Boi. Argue who has the better track if you must (and you will), but there’s little debate who’s the bigger Thrones fan.
In the awesomely titled “King Slayer,” Wale raps over a slightly reworked Thrones theme like he arrived at the studio late and that’s the only sample they had left. Folarin name checks Khaleesi* a couple of times but it’s clear what team he’s repping with lines like “I’m like a Lannister, my town is the Seven Kingdoms/They’ll never stop us the only option is to try to be us.”
Not a bad theory, Wale. And if anybody can claim his hometown is the Seven Kingdoms, it’s Wale.
Big Boi, meanwhile, makes his allegiances even more clear in “Mother of Dragons.” Mr. Patton nabs a sample from one of Thrones’ composer Ramin Djawadi’s more somber pieces and turns it into a kind of military march. “It won’t be long before Khaleesi takes the Iron Throne/F*ck the Lannisters and everybody who ride with them.”
Shots fired! Wale’s not going to like that…If he’s as invested in dynastic conflicts from a fictional fantasy world as he should be.
Catch the Throne will be available for download on March 11 via Soundcloud, nearly a month before the Game of Thrones fourth season premiere on April 6. Check the full tracklist down below.
1. Big Boi – “Mother of Dragons”
2. Magazeen – “Iron Throne”
3. Bodega Bamz – “Win or Die”
4. Kilo Kish – “Magical Reality”
5. Daddy Yankee – “Born to Rule”
6. Dominik Omega – “Arya’s Prayer”
7. Snow – “Fire”
8. Dee Goodz – “The Parallel”
9. Common – “Interlude/The Ladder”
10. Wale – “King Slayer”
* — Nerd aside: I don’t think 85% of Game of Thrones viewers actually know that her name isn’t “Khaleesi.” Khaleesi is just a title, like “Queen.” Her name is Daenerys, damn it. You may now shove me into a locker and take my lunch money.