We’re reworking our lead-off post to give you a plate full of sports news goodness every morning. We’re calling it the Morning Meat, and it will set the table for the business that With Leather gives you throughout the day. Like everything else on this site, it’s a work in progress. Img.
|Sizzling headlines straight from the griddle|
New Orleans Court Ain’t Nothin’ ta F With. When their home team is headed to the Super Bowl, anyway. If anyone is waiting to find out whether or not they get the chair next week, it’ll have to be put on hold because the courts are basically closed for the Saints’ march to Miami. Talk about a bye-week.
Trash-Talk Gets Artsy-Fartsy. On Monday, the Indianapolis Museum of Art bet the New Orleans Museum of Art a loan of an Ingrid Calame painting for a Super Bowl victory. On Tuesday, NOMA saw that bet and raised it Renoir’s Seamstress at the Window for 3 months. With disses like “insignificant work” and “China painter” being thrown around, this battle keeps getting hotter and hotter. Keep checking the updates.
Business Week is in the Sports Business. Pause, Not. Business Week just came out with a list of 100 most powerful athletes, placing Fedor Emelianenko at #82 over Brock Lesnar’s #96. They cite no earnings or endorsements for Fedor, while Lesnar may as well be featured on your kids’ lunchbox. What gives?
Your Olympic Knock-Offs are SO Over. The United States Olympic Committee is a little miffed at the American companies who are trying to cash in on the Vancouver games for their own gain but don’t have association rights. Unlike other Nations, the USOC is not goverment-funded. US Olympians rely on donations and sponsors from big name corporations; but when your local malt shop starts boasting their own Olympic promotions it kind of takes the piss out of it.
Captain Neville’s Creepy Castle. Gary Neville, Captain of Manchester United, is building a creepy underground compound complete with golf course, pool, stables, gym, and movie theater. It supposedly off-sets the carbon footprint of his more traditional 12-bedroom shack, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s really saying, “…and they’ll never hear them scream. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”
|Sunny-side up scores containing at least one 0|
|No breakfast is complete without some links!|
- A parody of Andy Samberg’s Lonely Island digi shorts. It’s as funny as you’d expect it to be. Warming Glow.
- If your life’s dream is to see Jean Claude van Damme duke it out with a gold medal Muay Thai fighter, then consider me a less blonde version of Jeannie. Film Drunk.
- What would it take to get you to fly copilot in a plane that was duct taped together post-bear mauling? Gamma Squad.
- A lot of people can’t wait for the over-the-top Super Bowl ads. To tide you over, reminisce with some of the most memorable from days of yore. Inside TV.
- If all the talk about the Apple iPad gave you a raging boner yesterday, there’s already a t-shirt paying homage to the device you can use for er…clean up. Comics Alliance.
- “Grossest Things Eaten on Film, MILFs in Sports, and Funny Warning Signs” – the listiest of lists. KAPOW! Unreality.
- Graphic depiction of hours spent watching football. Okay. College Humor.
- Baseball season is around the corner – here’s a quiz to reacquaint you with all of the franchises. If you can’t name them, I won’t let you past the holding hands stage. Sorry, but it’s a deal breaker. Sporcle.
Tips? Okay, but that’s it. Anything more and I’ll have to turn you in to HR: WithLeather-Tips@Uproxx.com