In a video that was pretty much everywhere yesterday, Ted Williams, a homeless man living in central Ohio, shared what he called his God-given gift of a great voice. Yesterday, he was offered what any gainfully employed announcer only dreams about: a full-time job with an NBA team.
Now that Williams’ voice has been heard, he’s making appearances — he was on Ohio radio this morning, and he’ll be on NBC’s “Today Show” on Thursday — and the job prospects seem to be pouring in. Here are a few of the new possible opportunities for Williams.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers: A representative of the Cavs called into “The Morning Zoo” on WNCI, a local Ohio station, this morning to offer Williams a full-time voice-over job and a house.
- The NFL: No offer has been made yet, but a director of post-production from the NFL told The Columbus Dispatch, “My boss said to me: ‘If you don’t get him hired, you’re fired.’ … I can’t make any guarantees, but I’d love to get him some work.”
- The Ohio Credit Union League: Also on WNCI this morning, Williams was offered a $10,000 opportunity to do voice-over work for the Ohio Credit Union League, pending a background check.
- MTV: Someone claiming to be from MTV called into “The Morning Zoo” to say that they’d love to work with Williams.
- ESPN: According to WNCI, ESPN has expressed interest in Williams, too.
- Radio: A Pennsylvania radio station is apparently interested in Williams.
- Giving back: The television station WBNS-TV wants to use Williams as a narrator for One Day To End Homelessness, a telethon planned for Jan. 31.
The most prominent of those has to be the job with the Cleveland Cavaliers, who offered to buy him a house and pay his mortgage. Williams was involved in radio in the past before encountering trouble with drugs and alcohol. Just enjoy the video and his subsequent radio show appearance after the jump. And wow, that guy does have a great voice. I want to run that voice into a bathtub and splash around in it.
I want more like this!
Follow us on Facebook and get the latest before everyone else.