Last month, Brock Lesnar showed the world that he was back and completely unaffected by life-threatening digestive intestinal disease by taking a Howitzer to the prairie and exploding the sh*t out of some groundhogs. The next step to recovery, logically, is a return to fighting — in a story breaking literally right now, Brock’s return to Ultimate Fighting is set, and he’ll be taking on former Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion “Demolition Man” Alistair Overeem.
From USA Today, by way of a post about 40-minutes ago on the UFC’s Facebook page.
Brock Lesnar and Alistair Overeem will clash at the end of the year for the right to a title shot, the Ultimate Fighting Championship said Tuesday.
Lesnar-Overeem has been scheduled for Dec. 30 in Las Vegas, UFC told the Los Angeles Times and confirmed soon after via Twitter. The match-up pits two of the top four heavyweights on the USA TODAY/MMA Nation consensus rankings.
The winner will get a title shot, according to the Times.
Overeem, as part of the “telling the Los Angeles Times” part of that blockquote, explains why this should be a good fight:
“Brock is a big name, a dangerous guy, and this is a dream matchup,” Overeem told The Times on Tuesday, just after signing a standard UFC fight contract in the office of Chairman Lorenzo Fertitta. “Brock’s a big guy, an exciting wrestler with his takedowns.
“I want to see this fight myself. Overall, I’m a different fighter. A striker, athletic, big. These are going to be two big trucks going at it on a collision course.”
I want to see it, too. Lesnar is a monstrous sort of man who looks like the living equivalent to one of the Goombas from the Super Mario Bros. movies, but Overeem is just as nasty, standing 6-foot-5 and weighing 260 pounds. We’ll be sure to keep you posted as the particulars roll in, and when Brock figures out which ethnicity Alistair is and starts slurring it as much as possible.
[h/t Cage Potato]