The long rumored rematch between UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier and his nemesis Jon Jones has finally been confirmed for UFC 214 in Anaheim on July 19th.
The UFC made the announcement at their big Summer Kickoff press conference in Dallas leading into this week’s UFC 211 card, and there were some serious fireworks surrounding the event. First, take a look at this clip from backstage showing Daniel Cormier tossing a bottle at Jones and yelling at him over his kids.
Things got pretty heated during the attempted face-off as well:
During the press conference portion of the event, Michael Chiesa took a run at Kevin Lee for mentioning his mother. Security pulled them apart, but they’ll get their chance to sort things out June 25th at UFC Fight Night 112.
Last but not least, women’s bantamweight champ Amanda Nunes gave Valentina Shevchenko a knuckle shove during face offs. They’ll be fighting at UFC 213 on July 13th.
We’d hate to only give attention to the fighters threatening to brawl … the UFC Summer Kickoff press conference also made official these great match-ups:
- Chris Weidman vs. Kelvin Gastelum @ UFC on FOX 25 – July 22nd, Long Island, New York
- Cris Cyborg vs. Cat Zingano @ UFC 214 – July 19th, Anaheim, California
- Justin Gaethje vs. Michael Johnson @ TUF 25 Finale – July 7th, Las Vegas, Nevada
And it was promoting other big fights for the summer like
- Claudia Gadelha vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz @ UFC 212 – June 3rd, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Holly Holm vs. Bethe Correia @ UFC Fight Night 111 – June 17th, Kallang, Singapore
While the event was lacking the oomph that a Conor McGregor, Diaz Brother, or Georges St-Pierre might bring, it still succeeded in setting the stage for it’s lesser known but no less entertaining fighters. Plus we expect Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier to continue their descent into full blown hatred, so there’s that to look forward to as well.