Hoo boy. Last night’s season finale of “Justified,” titled “Slaughterhouse,” was intense — and not just in reference to the “HOLY SH-T DID YOU SEE THAT?” moment that has been helpfully GIFed on the next page. I try not to be over-spoiler-y in these opening paragraphs, but I will say that the last ten minutes went a long way to explaining why Raylan is the way he is. I mean, sure it’s fun as hell to watch a dude in a cowboy hat run around Kentucky shooting people, but the truth is that he is one troubled hombre: violent, self-destructive, often stubbornly rebellious, etc. You don’t get to be that way without some deep wounds acquired during your formative years, and the line “I just saw a guy in a hat and I pulled the trigger” really drove home the extent of it all. It was a great way to wrap up another great season.
- Boyd just wants people to respect his abilities enough to know that he wouldn’t blow up a car he’s standing next to. Seems reasonable.
- The return of Harlan Roulette! (Love u so much, Wynn Duffy.)
- “I don’t recall promising you donkey squat.”
- Quarles going all Yogi Bear and ruining a perfectly nice picnic.
- “We didn’t invent the rules, baby. We just gotta play by them.” Boyd and Ava are turning into Bonnie and Clyde, and I love it.
- Boyd knows his rights, and Art likes the use of the word cahoots. I approve of all of this.
- YO. DO NOT THREATEN AVA. SERIOUSLY.
- Raylan reacting to the rail gun with “That’s cute” is the most Raylan thing possible.
- An important, and disgusting, discussion about pig tongue.
- “A half million ain’t ‘gettin’ outta your hair’ money. A half million is fighting money.”
- PIGGY BANKS. CLEAVERS. HOLY SH-T.
- Arlo pulled a Wee-Bey to protect his “family.” That’s messed up.
Well, that’s it for this season. As promised, we’ve got some great GIFs from Chet Manley on the next page, and writers VJ Boyd and Jon Worley will be joining us again in the comments throughout the day. I’m sure you all have lots of questions about last night (and where everything will take us going forward), so fire away. This should be fun.