Comedian Kathleen Madigan is probably best known for her numerous standup specials on HBO, Comedy Central, and Netflix and also for being a finalist in season two of Last Comic Standing. Her latest standup special, Bothering Jesus, is available now for streaming on Netflix; it’s Madigan’s third standup special available on the streaming service. “I love working with them. They’re the young people,” Madigan says about Netflix. “Network TV will need to adapt quickly to even have a chance to stay in the game. Netflix gets it and makes it so easy for us. Instead of it being a battle of content and rules, it’s just fun. What it’s supposed to be.” Madigan was nice enough to answer our twenty questions questionnaire recently.
1. You walk into a bar. What do you order from the bartender?
Bud Light and can I have an olive. Thanks.
2. Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter and/or Instagram?
3. What’s currently waiting for you on your DVR?
American Horror Story and 13,500 episodes of House Hunters, tiny and regular.
4. It’s your last meal — what are you going out with?
Guinness Stew and Mashed Potatoes. Extra salt.
5. What websites do you visit on a regular basis?
ESPN (AND PLEASE SOMEONE TELL THEM ALL SPORTS ON TV FOR THAT DAY SHOULD BE LISTED WITH TIMES AND CHANNELS ON THE HOME PAGE). Thanks, I’ve calmed down. CNN although their breaking news is 5 hrs behind their own Twitter feed and half of it isn’t even news but whatever CNN.
6. What’s the most frequently played song on your mobile device?
Tie. “Landslide”/ Fleetwood Mac and “Dog Days Are Over” / Florence and the Machine
7. If you could go back and give your 18-year-old self one piece of advice what would it be?
Stop waiting to get taller. It was all a lie. This is it. Find a good tailor.
8. What’s the last thing you Googled?
Dolly Parton’s brother Randy and his theater debacle. I recommend that story.
9. Dogs or cats?
10. Best concert of your life was…?
Dolly Parton in Atlanta this summer. 3 hrs and she was UNBELIEVEABLE, and I’m a Stevie loyalist but Dolly’s just a party for 3 hours.
11. What book are you most likely to give as a gift?
Look Who’s Back by Timur Vermes. It’s about if Hitler woke up in a park but no one believed it was really him and he becomes a YouTube star. Seriously funny.
12. What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
My Mom told me I could make up things about her if need be to win a reality show. I did not do that but nice offer.
13. South Park or Family Guy?
14. You have an entire day to do whatever you want. What would you do?
I’d golf with Lewis Black, then we’d go to a casino.
15. What movie can you not resist watching if it’s on?
Best in Show. I love Fred Willard.
16. The sports team or teams you’re most passionate about?
Loving the St. Louis Cardinals and hating the LA Rams (Google shitbag owner Stan Kronke). Yes, bitter and angry but ok with that in one area of life.
17. Where did you eat the best meal of your life?
Guinness Stew in Ireland.
18. The last movie you saw in a theater?
Ugh. The Hindenburg? Seriously not a movie person. Oh wait, Inside Out, cuz my pal Lewis [Black] is the voice of anger and Everest.
19. Who was your first celebrity crush?
20. What would you cook if Nic Cage was coming to your house for dinner?
Nic Cage would not be invited. I’d give him a gift cert to Applebee’s. He just seems too odd to deal with but nice enough to send him somewhere sensible.
PREVIOUSLY: John Larroquette