Anthony Bourdain is a chef, writer and TV personality best known for his work as the globetrotting host of No Reservations on the Travel Channel and his best-selling book, Kitchen Confidential. His recently unveiled new television project is Parts Unknown, a culinary and cultural adventure show that will air on CNN beginning in the spring of 2013. Additionally, Bourdain has his own publishing outfit under the Harper Collins umbrella and is publishing a book by internet sensation Marilyn Hagerty.
Anthony was nice enough to take a few minutes out of his busy schedule recently and answer a few of our questions.
1. You walk into a bar. What do you order from the bartender?
Draft beer. Local if possible. But whatever’s available is fine. Unless it’s light beer.
2. Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter?
3. What’s currently waiting for you on your DVR/TiVO?
A whole lot of Charlie and Lola’s to watch with my daughter. Also last week’s Treme, which I haven’t seen yet.
4. It’s your last meal — what are you going out with?
Sushi. High end sushi. JIRO Ono sushi. Then I’ll be ready. Or Extebarre in Spain. Either one will do.
5. What websites do you visit on a regular basis?
Huffpo, Eater, Grub Street, Roads and Kingdoms, Bruce Elliot:Geriatric Genius, Roger Ebert, Gawker
6. What’s the most frequently played song on your iPod?
“Wedding Dress” by Mark Lanegan
7. The first face that comes to mind when you think “punchable”?
Trump? He just sort of invites it. You know he’d cry like a wuss, too.
8. What’s your favorite meme?
None comes to mind.
9. Dogs or cats?
10. Best concert of your life was…?
The Specials. Some bar on Long Island in the 80’s.
11. What book are you most likely to give as a gift?
The Friends of Eddie Coyle.(George V Higgins) or Dog of the South (Charles Portis)
12. What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
Given me a job and lent me money when I was an unreliable wreck.
13. South Park or Family Guy?
14. You have an entire day to do whatever you want. What would you do?
Read close to a body of water. Play with my daughter. Nap frequently. Cook pasta with ragu.
15. What movie can you not resist watching if it’s on?
The Third Man. Mean Streets.
16. Android or iPhone?
17. Where did you eat the best meal of your life?
Don’t know. Japan? Spain? Vietnam? The best meal of my life is the meal I really, really want …today.
18. The last movie you saw in a theater?
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
19. Who was your first celebrity crush?
Diana Rigg as Mrs. Peel.
20. What would you cook if Nic Cage was coming to your house for dinner?