It’s a teenage riot in Columbus, Ohio, and Auburn, Alabama, for two very different reasons.
– That SEC Championship was fun, wasn’t it?
The No. 5 Missouri Tigers and No. 3 Auburn Tigers met in Atlanta for a track meet, as the teams put up 101 points and 1,211 total yards of offense in Auburn’s 59-42 win over Mizzou. Auburn running back Tre Mason put up four touchdowns and 306 yards of offense on 46 total carries, while Missouri quarterback James Franklin ratcheted 365 yards of total offense in a losing effort.
Ohio State’s loss in the Big Ten Championship (see: below) ensures that Auburn will give the SEC its eighth straight BCS national title game appearance and the state of Alabama its fifth straight appearance.
– No. 2 Ohio State lost to No. 10 Michigan State in the Big Ten championship, 34-24. They blew a chance to go to the national championship. The following tweets are mean things people said about the Buckeyes following their loss:
— Clay Travis (@ClayTravisBGID) December 8, 2013
Ohio State is choking harder than Shooter McGavin at the 96' Tour Championship.
— Happy Gilmore (@_Happy_Gilmore) December 8, 2013
You bring this on yourselves, #OSU fans. Your arrogance and stupidity are what make the world hate you. NOT the team's success.
— Vince Nairn (@VinceMNairn) December 8, 2013
Let the Suckeyes weep, Jemele. The tears are loud enough. RT @jemelehill: Whatcha say now OSU fans? Huh? Can’t hear you? SPEAK UP.
— William Ketchum III (@WEKetchum) December 8, 2013
Is Urban gonna retire again? #Sparty
— Austin Dare (@skibum35474) December 8, 2013
You know what? I could be pissed SEC gets into the title game again, but I'm not, I don't give a shit. Fuck Ohio State, always and forever.
— Brian Dawson (@DawsonPSU10) December 8, 2013
@richiexc13 Fuck Ohio State.
— Brandon Campbell (@BMCampbell12) December 8, 2013
Not necessarily mean, but certainly relevant:
Surrounded by family, Urban Meyer eats postgame pizza very quietly in corridor beneath Lucas Oil Stadium. pic.twitter.com/80FtTVegWQ
— George Schroeder (@GeorgeSchroeder) December 8, 2013
Catharsis. Catharsis now, Buckeyes fans.
And congratulations to the Spartans, one of this season’s most under-the-radar teams who rode a mutated, nihilistic form of “Tressel Ball” all the way to the Rose Bowl, where they’ll meet Pac-12 champions Stanford on Jan. 1.
– Speaking of which, the Rose Bowl should be interesting for fans in Palo Alto, East Lansing, Michigan and American grandfathers. No. 7 Stanford beat No. 11 Arizona State 31-14 in Palo Alto on Saturday night, which means that the 25th-ranked Stanford run game will face off against the nation’s best defense in Michigan State. Expects lots of PHYSICALITY and other GRITTY FOOTBALL THINGS.
The Cardinal’s Rose Bowl appearance marks their fourth straight BCS game appearance, a streak which has only been matched by power programs Miami, Oregon, Ohio State and USC.
– No. 1 Florida State, predictably, demolished No. 20 Duke 45-7 in the ACC Championship on Saturday night. Seminoles quarterback Jameis Winston had 389 total yards of offense against the Blue Devils and looks like the Heisman favorite heading into preparation for the Jan. 6 BCS National Championship game. So there’s that.
– No. 9 Baylor wrapped up the Big 12 with a 30-10 win over No. 23 Texas yesterday, as the Bears concluded an 11-1 season and their first ever Big 12 title because of No. 18 Oklahoma’s 33-24 win over No. 6 Oklahoma State. Unsurprisingly, they put up 508 yards of total offense on the Longhorns, with quarterback Bryce Petty accounting for 287 yards of total offense and two touchdowns.
Baylor’s next game will be played on Jan. 1 in Phoenix at this season’s Fiesta Bowl, the first BCS bowl game for the program.
– Hot, sweaty, NSFW #MACtion ended on Friday night with a uber-surprising 47-27 Bowling Green win over No. 16-ranked Northern Illinois in the MAC Championship. The loss knocks the Huskies out of the BCS picture, and all but ensures them weird bowl purgatory in some place, like, Mobile, Alabama.
Still, nothing quite heats up otherwise ordinary Tuesday evenings in November quite like #MACtion.
Photo: Getty; GIF: @SBNation
I want more like this!
Follow us on Facebook and get the latest before everyone else.