This Sunday is the Super Bowl (hopefully), and the biggest attractions among the lead up to the game, the advertisements during the game, and the actual game, is the Super Bowl halftime show. The Super Bowl halftime show this year features performers Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
When I saw Bruno Mars on SNL for the first time in 2012, I thought he was a new cast member. I just thought that this new guy is a really good singer; I had no idea that he was the host and the performer. This realization all came at the berating of me from a girl I was watching with based on what he looked like, but I knew his music, SO SHUT UP, JENNIFER. I’m not that out of touch, jeez (*Heads to Blockbuster*). We also watched a Game of Thrones rerun. She had never watched the show, so I had to explain the plot to her. The night went downhill after that.
My romantic inadequacies aside, there’s a bunch of background tidbits behind Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Here are some things you should know about the 2 headliners of the Super Bowl Halftime show:
1. Bruno’s parents met each other at a show. His father was a percussionist, and his mother a hula dancer. They mixed their genes, and today we have the very talented Bruno Mars.
2. Bruno does more than just sing and dance, he can also play the drums, piano, bass, and the guitar.
3. Before Chad Smith was drumming for RHCP, he was in a local Detroit band called Toby Redd. I know this because one of my best friend’s Dad is the guitarist for them, and they’ve had reunion concerts in 2003 and 2011. Check them out with Chad Smith on the drums:
4. When Bruno Mars was four years old, he started performing with his family’s band, The Love Notes.
8. In September of 2010, Bruno Mars was arrested for cocaine possession (he’s adult Elvis!). He paid a $2,000 fine and did 200 hours of community service.
9. The night actor River Phoenix died, he was supposed to perform onstage at the Viper Room with the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Flea.
10. Bruno Mars is staggeringly tall at heights reaching 5’5. This means he could probably be an action star if this music thing proves unsuccessful.
I want more like this!
Follow us on Facebook and get the latest before everyone else.