We failed you. We flat-out failed you.
This annual post should have gone up last night as a guide of what to watch instead of the World Series, but in all honesty, it completely slipped my mind the World Series was happening until about ten minutes before the game began.
I am not alone in this mental lapse as last night’s game between the Kansas City BBQs and the San Francisco Housing Bubble was the one the least watched World Series on record, which means going back to when television was new and novel and those years stations signed off at 1 AM to the ‘Star-Spangled Banner’ over footage of a waving American flag. (We should still do that by the way, much better than infomercials. Plus maybe some ghost will talk to us through the television.)
Then again, is it really late if the games are still going? Yes, but that doesn’t mean you don’t need stuff to watch this evening that isn’t baseball.
- Obviously you should watch RobotsFightingDinosaurs play Madden as he continues his drive to take the Raiders to the Super Bowl when that goes live at 8pm ET/ 5pm PT. I’ve even scored some touchdowns in these games, so thanks RFD. You’re making my dream of being more than just a football bystander come true.
- You could perhaps fire up your HBO GO account and watch the “Red Wedding” episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ again, which was much like Game 1 of the World Series, but with less incest.
- Have you started watching “The Goldbergs” on ABC yet? No? You should, because it is quietly one of the nicest little shows on primetime these days. Just don’t get hung up on little things like RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK being out at the same time as a GREMLINS. Think of it as an ’80s stew and just relax (don’t do it).
- Most people missed Chris Hemsworth in RUSH last year, which is a shame because it’s one of the better racing movies since LE MANS. That starts on HBOe at 7:55 ET /4:55 PT.
- HBO2 has LETHAL WEAPON 2 at 9 ET/ 6 PT. No one wants to die on a toilet.
- If you feel like learning, Nature has you covered with back-to-back bird episodes. “Jungle Eagle” which promises harpy eagles taking on monkeys in South American jungles and “A Murder of Crows” about how smart crows are.
- And if that is not enough learning for you, NOVA has a new show tonight about Ben Franklin’s hot air balloons proving the man was more than just quotes about drinking beer.
- ESPN is showing preseason NBA basketball; Cavs at Mavs 8pm ET/5pm PT, Suns at Clippers at 10:30 ET/7:30 PT.
- NFLN has the abbreviated replays of Saints-Lions at 8pm ET/5pm PT followed by Inside the NFL.
- “Franklin & Bash” has now been on so long they’re having their Vegas trip episode tonight at 10 ET/ 7 PT on TNT.
- IFC is running THE EXORCIST all night for Halloween.
- At 10 ET/ 7 PT MGMHD is airing one of my favorite early 90s films, THE CUTTING EDGE, starring my shared birthday pal DB Sweeney. (It’s probably the only role Moira Kelly is not annoying in.)
- And finally, what I will be mostly watching, Pens-Flyers at 8pm ET/5pm PT on NBC Sports.
There you have it. Absolutely no reason to watch baseball tonight, unless you’re KSK resident Old James and you want to subject yourself to a pain worse than eating an entire Blitz Box.