Culture

An Active Shooter At YouTube Headquarters Has Reportedly Injured Multiple People

The shooter at YouTube headquarters has reportedly been killed by police. Please see our continuing updates at the bottom of this post.
—–
Tuesday afternoon, tweets from YouTube employees, as well as people in the immediate vicinity of the company’s headquarters in San Bruno, California seemed to indicate that an active shooter situation was happening at their facilities. CNN and The Hollywood Reporter subsequently confirmed with a city manager and the San Bruno Police Department respectively that an active shooter was on the scene. According to THR‘s Ryan Parker, San Bruno PD told him it was a “very active scene,” but couldn’t offer any more details at the time. The San Bruno police have since confirmed an incident.

Meanwhile, the Google communications team put out a short statement saying they were “coordinating with authorities and will provide official information here from Google and YouTube as it becomes available.”

YouTube employee Vadim Lavrusik first drew attention to the matter when he tweeted, “Active shooter at YouTube HQ. Heard shots and saw people running while at my desk. Now barricaded inside a room with coworkers.” He subsequently revealed he had been safely evacuated from the building, but not before other employees shared similar experiences.


Another employee, Todd Sherman, gave a point-by-point account of what he experienced when he first caught wind of the active shooter situation, which he thought was an “earthquake” at first.

Like Lavrusik and other employees who were live-tweeting the incident, Sherman thankfully managed to escape as San Bruno PD arrived on the scene.

UPDATE #1 — 4:50 pm ET: The Los Angeles Times reports that, according to a law enforcement source, at least two people were shot at YouTube’s headquarters. Meanwhile, NBC News reports that patients from the incident have been taken to Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital, according to a spokesperson there.


UPDATE #2 — 5:15 pm ET: CNN reports that at least “four or five patients” have been transported to nearby hospitals following the shooting at YouTube. THR is quoting Brent Andrew, Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital’s spokesperson, who says they have “a number of patients with gunshot wounds,” but none have been “dead on arrival.” However, he adds, authorities at YouTube have indicated that “people had been killed on scene.”

In the meantime, an anonymous law enforcement source allegedly told ABC 7 that “the shooter is a white, adult female wearing a dark top and head scarf.” Soon after the local outlet’s report, however, multiple law enforcement sources told NBC News the shooter “is a female and she is down.”

UPDATE #3 — 7:15 pm ET: The Daily Beast received word from federal law enforcement that the woman identified as the shooter reportedly shot her boyfriend at YouTube HQ.

(Via CNN and The Hollywood Reporter and Daily Beast)

×