Ever since Fox brought on Matthew Vaughn to direct, X-Men: First Class has been shaping up to be something I actually give a sh*t about. Bryan Singer, who’s producing, recently called AICN‘s Harry Knowles to share some details about the project, conveniently leaving out the part where he wanted to cast Taylor Lautner in it. Here are some of the beans he spilled:
- Film takes place in the 60s with Kennedy as president. Martin Luther King and Malcolm X will be in the background of the story, which I guess drives home the point that X-Men was always sort of based on the civil rights movement (Xavier is MLK, Magneto is Malcom X)
- Xavier (James McAvoy) and Magneto (Michael F. Assbender) are in their late twenties. Xavier still has hair.
- We’ll see how Xavier ends up in his wheelchair (drunk driver???)
- Costumes will be “more comic bookish.” Which presumably means “less black leathery.” Does that make it more gay or less gay? Discuss.
- Vaughn was said to be inspired by James Bond era costumes and gadgets. Sean Connery’s wife pressed for further details, but Connery just slapped her hard across the mouth.
- Cyclops’ brother Alex Summers aka Havoc will appear, played by Lucas Till. Or as I like to call him, “who?”
- This will be the first silver age Marvel movie. F*CK YEAH! BEST NEWS I’VE HEARD ALL DAY! (I don’t know what that means).
- The Hellfire Club will factor into the plot, with Kevin Bacon playing Sebastian Shaw and January Jones as Emma Frost.
- “I asked if Kevin Bacon would be sporting that little ponytail with the ribbon – Bryan laughed and said, ‘We’ll see’.”
- Singer also confirmed some of the other cast members, such as Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, Nicholas Hoult as Beast, Caleb Landry Jones as Banshee, Lucas Till as Havoc, Edi Gathegi as Darwin, and Jason Flemyng as Azazel. [via AICN, hat tip GammaSquad]
Wait, that’s it?? What of codpieces? I just can’t respect a superhero unless he has a prodigious crotch bulge. Guh. No one asks the important questions.
PS: Reader Pauly snapped this picture of a guy at a convenient store this morning. He should play Beast. Good lord.