A few notes about the upcoming film, The Big Short:
- It is based on Moneyball author Michael Lewis’ book of the same name, which tells the real-life story of the 2008 financial crash by focusing in on a few goofs and weirdos who saw it coming, and how their warnings went ignored or were flat-out dismissed in the months before everything went to hell.
- It has a heck of a cast, including Christian Bale, Brad Pitt, Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling, Marisa Tomei, Karen Gillan, Selena Gomez, and Melissa Leo.
- It was directed by Adam McKay, who is best-known for Anchorman and Step Brothers and his other work with Will Ferrell, which also includes another film about Wall Street flim-flammery, The Other Guys.
- It has a trailer now, as you can see above.
- From the trailer, it looks like McKay is taking the 85/15 jokes to Serious Message ratio from The Other Guys and flipping it. These are ballpark figures. Do not check my math.
- Christian Bale plays a shoeless, floppy-haired stock nerd, which is just about as far from “billionaire playboy and throaty-voiced masked vigilante” as you can possibly get. Unless this is just a front and his character gets fed up in the third act and becomes Batman to single-handedly prevent the economic collapse. What the adaption would lack in accuracy, it would make up for in… uh, Batman. People love Batman! Worth a shot!
The Big Short opens Christmas 2016.