Nintendo’s quirky new arena shooter Splatoon arrives at the end of the month, and Nintendo just dropped a big old inky blob of new information on the game in a new Nintendo Direct. If you’ve got around half an hour to spare, you can check out the full Nintendo Direct above.
Here are a few bullet-point highlights:
– The mechanics of the game are explained. You can move through your own paint more quickly, but your opponent’s paint will slow you down. The game isn’t totally non-violent – you can make your enemies burst by spraying them with enough of your ink.
– The game includes oil rig, skatepark, warehouse and mall stages (amongst many others).
– There’s a surprising number of weapons in the game, and you can carry main, sub and special weapons.
– Same couch multiplayer is limited to two-players with one playing on the GamePad and one playing on the TV screen, which is a bit disappointing. If Nintendo doesn’t stick up for splitsceen, who will?
– There are random and ranked online battles. August will see a free update that adds 4-on-4 and 8-player battles. Nintendo is also promising lots of new maps and weapons, some of which, I’m assuming, you’ll have to pay extra for.
– Nintendo has released a limited-run Splatoon demo through the Wii U eShop, and will be holding a “Global Testfire” of the game from 8 – 9 p.m. PT on Friday and 4-5 a.m. and 12-1 p.m. on Saturday.
– Finally, if you pre-order you can get Squid costumes for Super Smash Bros. Phew! That was a lot of stuff.
What do you folks think? Intrigued by Splatoon? Nintendo certainly seems to be trying a whole lot of new stuff all at once with this one. Here’s hoping they hit their many targets.