It was 20 years ago today that The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air“s sixth and final season concluded on NBC.
In an emotional finale, fans watched the Banks family move out of their home as they left for the East Coast, leaving Will behind in California to finish his college studies. He does everything he can to prevent the house from selling, but eventually it”s time to say goodbye.
But not without one final Carlton Dance first.
Other notable May 20 happenings in pop culture history:
• 1957: Frank Sinatra recorded “Witchcraft” at Capitol Records.
• 1970: The Beatles documentary Let It Be opened in U.K. theaters.
• 1980: Kiss released Unmasked, the last studio album to feature the band”s original lineup until Kiss reunited in 1996.
• 1982: The series finale of cop sitcom Barney Miller aired on ABC.
• 1983: The Police released the single “Every Breath You Take.”
• 1987: Beverly Hills Cop II opened in theaters.
• 1989: Paula Abdul song “Forever Your Girl” hit No.1 on the Billboard Hot 100, holding the top spot for two weeks.