There’s a movie coming out in 2016 that’s directed by Freaks and Geeks creator Paul Feig and written by Katie Dippold, who previously worked on Parks and Recreation. It will star the SNL dream team of Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones, Kate McKinnon, and Melissa McCarthy.
If that’s all you knew about this mysterious movie, it would be cause for celebration. A great cast, a talented writer, a successful director. So why is everyone acting like a miserable New Yorker, treating other people like dirt? Because that movie is Ghostbusters III, and it boasts an all-female cast. If you want to be disgusted by a third Ghostbusters film because it’s been 26 years since Ghostbusters II, or because Harold Ramis is dead, or because it’s yet another remake of an old property, or because you think Gilly is the worst thing to ever happen on TV (SORRY), that’s totally fine. In fact, it might very well be horrible! But don’t come after it because you’re opposed to four females in the lead roles.
If Ghostbusters III ends up being terrible, it won’t be because Kate McKinnon is no Dan Aykroyd. Don’t tell that to these ladies and gentlemen, though — their childhoods are already RUINED.
1. Women be making everything about them.
2. If they can’t even kill a bug, how are they gonna bust a ghost?
3. To be fair, he said “the great legacy of Ghostbusters,” casually leaving out the sequel.
4. I kind of wish Paul Feig had cast Katherine Heigl. The ultimate troll move.
5. Because when I think of Bridesmaids, I think of period jokes, not Melissa McCarthy sh*tting in a sink.
6. Feminist Bimbos is actually the name of a script I’m working in…
7. …rapper/actor Lil’ Sexist is set to star.
8. Gotta appreciate this guy’s candor. There’s no beating around the bush. He straight up says what he’s thinking, and what he’s thinking is: the things I liked then define my personality now.
9. Ramis probably wouldn’t be happy Ghostbusters III is happening, especially after all these years, but that has nothing to do with gender.
10. Helpful advice for all the negative-three people who will walk into Ghostbusters III without having seen a poster, trailer, commercial, GIF, Vine, or read a review. WON’T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THEM.