Emily Mortimer is an actress probably best known for her role on HBO’s The Newsroom, as well as her roles in films like Match Point, Transsiberian, Lars and the Real Girl, Notting Hill, and Lovely and Amazing, for which she won an Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Actress. You may have also seen her on HBO’s Doll & Em, which she created and writes, along with 30 Rock, where she played Jack Donaghy’s love interest, Phoebe. Currently, she stars alongside Peter Sarsgaard in Ladygrey, It’s available for viewing On-Demand or Digital HD, as well as via Amazon.
Emily was nice enough to take a few minutes out of her busy schedule recently to answer a few questions from us.
1. You walk into a bar. What do you order from the bartender?
When I was young, it was gin and ginger ale. Now it’s straight tequila on the rocks.
2. Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter and/or Instagram?
3. What’s currently waiting for you on your DVR?
A million things I’ll never watch.
4. It’s your last meal — what are you going out with?
Lasagna and chocolate cake.
5. What websites do you visit on a regular basis?
Ones that convince me I’m dying of some terrible disease.
6. What’s the most frequently played song on your mobile device?
Billy Bragg’s “Must I Paint You a Picture.”
7. If you could go back and give your 18-year-old self one piece of advice, what would it be?
Stop feeling guilty all the time.
8. What’s the last thing you Googled?
How to spell “batten,” as in the phrase “batten down the hatches.”
9. Dogs or cats?
10. Best concert of your life was…?
Rolling Stones gig at the Brixton Academy in London on a very hot summer’s night when I was about 25.
11. What book are you most likely to give as a gift?
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens or A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov.
12. What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
Someone has stayed married to me for a long time. That’s pretty nice.
13. South Park or Family Guy?
14. You have an entire day to do whatever you want. What would you do?
Go to an amazing restaurant and stay in a fancy hotel.
15. What movie can you not resist watching if it’s on?
Calamity Jane with Doris Day.
16. The sports team or teams you’re most passionate about?
Leicester City because everyone I love is freaking out about them coming from nowhere and maybe winning the Premier League.
17. Where did you eat the best meal of your life?
Every Christmas at my mum’s.
18. The last movie you saw in a theater?
A great doc called All This Panic at the Tribeca Film Festival. About teenage girls in New York.
19. Who was your first celebrity crush?
John Craven, who was a children’s TV personality in England. He presented a news show for kids and I thought he seemed so smart and sensitive.
20. What would you cook if Nic Cage was coming to your house for dinner?
PREVIOUSLY: Michael Emerson