This is Doug (formerly “Ug”), the abandoned, two-year-old, half-blind Pointer cross dog who sat in a British animal shelter for months awaiting adoption before a cafe worker in South Yorkshire saw him on the shelter’s website and fell in love. And how couldn’t you? We want to hug him and squeeze him and call him George. The cafe worker paid £200 (US$310) to bring Doug home to her two kids. Now he’s been called Britain’s Ugliest Dog, and they may enter him in the World’s Ugliest Dog competition held in California. He’s already won our hearts.
Meanwhile in Wisconsin, a 52-year-old male postal worker thought a 21-year-old female he was delivering mail to seemed depressed, so he did the most obvious thing: stripped completely naked and offered her some mail. She reports she looked away, held out her hand, and said, “Give me the mail and get out of here.” For future reference, holding out your hand and looking away when a naked dude delivers your mail isn’t a great strategy if you want to keep your hand junk-free. In this case, fortunately, he only put mail in her hand, apologized, and was later arrested after witnesses called police to report a naked man in the building.
In other nudity-related news, Peter Skaarup (a politician in Denmark who must have gotten all our suggestion letters) has called on the government to add images of topless, sunbathing women to tourism videos in order to scare away religious extremists. Naser Khader, founder of the Moderate Muslims movement and a member of Danish parliament, says the move would have the opposite effect: “Fundamentalists are so obsessed with sex that they will be pouring in over the borders.” Well, clearly we need to ticker tape the Earth with nudie mags just to be sure. This is my plan. Nobel Peace Prize committee, you know where to find me.
- LOOK AT THIS DOG. (BestWeekEver)
- Yo dawg, I heard you like packages. (Consumerist)
- Danish politician suggests more naked women in tourism videos to scare away extremists, attract rich perverts. (CourierMail)
- According to information from an internal presentation which leaked online, Yahoo! plans to kill or merge several services, including Del.icio.us, Yahoo! Buzz, AltaVista, People Search, and more. Yahoo!’s Chief! Product! Officer! Blake “!!!” Irving tweeted (screencap at right) that whoever leaked the information is so getting fired.
- Meanwhile, Del.icio.us says they definitely aren’t shutting down, but Yahoo! is probably going to sell them to another company. (TheNextWeb)
- A burglar stole a kid’s computer, iPod, savings bonds, money, and winter coat then posted a picture of himself posing with the items on the kid’s Facebook page, including a very clear view of his face. Brilliant. (WashingtonPost)
- Another genius criminal was foiled at a Walgreens in Ohio when a police officer entered the store to pick up an evidence tape from a previous robbery and stopped a robbery in progress. Like a boss. (TheDailyWhat, with video)
- A new study by the the British Phonographic Industry (who may be just a bit biased) estimates 75% of songs downloaded in the UK are illegal downloads. They claim 1.2 billion songs were downloaded illegally in the UK this year. Of those polled who say they’ve sworn off illegally downloading this year, only 12% said they’ve stopped because they were afraid of getting caught, but don’t count on BPI or the RIAA to change their strategy so they emphasis legal options available instead of using scare tactics. Hey, you know who can really take on all these pirates? Ninjas. (ArsTechnica)
- The same study estimated that the song illegally downloaded the most in the UK this year was “I Got A Feeling” by the Black Eyed Peas. I’ve got a feeling I wouldn’t pay for it either. (CrunchGear)