We’ve heard plenty about the Rio Problems. And there are many. But the Olympics still give us plenty of things to enjoy, from Michael Phelps creating a Meme Event, to Katie Ledecky going for greatness in the pool, to the U.S. gymnastics team being downright dominant.
Every two years (four if you’re a Summer Olympics snob), you get an entire world’s worth of elite athletes coming together to show their stuff in sports most people only watch during said Olympics. There’s fun – and power – in that. And we needed to discuss it as only we can on the ‘it me’ podcast: by making jokes and admitting we have no real expertise in anything.
We welcomed in Charlotte Wilder of USA Today‘s For The Win to recap Rio, and along the way we talked:
- Handball (in the summer) and Curling (in the winter) being the Olympics sports that are great for novices
- The longevity of the Phelps Face meme
- The potential of Gronk in the Olympic Village
- Katie Ledecky as a girl meeting Michael Phelps and the power an interaction like that can have on a young athlete
- Gronk’s energy drink
- Sports we wish were in in the Olympics
And more (like all kinds of weird stuff including that time Roy Hibbert drank Gatorade really fast and then everyone tried to drink Gatorade really fast).
As always, comments and tweets are welcome. Subscribe to us on iTunes, too! You can find Robby at (@rkalland) and Martin at (@martinrickman), and Charlotte is at (@thewilderthings). Sports are great and so are friends, but sports are always better with friends.
Special thanks to the band Annabel for our intro and outro music. They’re really good. You should buy their music at their website or perhaps see them play a show some time.