Long time listeners of the ‘it me’ podcast know there are a few themes that keep coming up whenever we get into deep discussions. Sports aren’t as important as we think they are, Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is great escape TV, Robby loves Vegas, and athletes are people first.
It’s something we think about every time we approach an interview, a story, or even watch a game. And it’s always nice when athletes let us in to show us their human side. That’s why we were so excited to get the chance to bring Ty Dillon, driver of the NASCAR No. 13 car in this upcoming Monster Energy Cup Series, to basically just talk about life and the things he enjoys.
Come to find out, he’s as big a sports fan as we are, and a huge fantasy sports guy. We also discussed:
- Ty’s favorite comfort TV shows he watches with his wife
- His approach to daily fantasy
- How he developed his long-standing sports fanhood, including the Panthers and Hornets (and Braves)
- What first-timers need to do at Daytona
- How NASCAR is trying to humanize drivers and show another side
- Whether or not the sport can get younger and steal fans away from other sports
- A tease of All-Star week in New Orleans
As always, comments and tweets are welcome. Subscribe to us on iTunes, too! You can find Robby at (@rkalland) and Martin at (@martinrickman). And Ty is at (@tydillon). Sports are great and so are friends, but sports are always better with friends.
Special thanks to the band Annabel for our intro and outro music. They’re really good. You should buy their music at their website or perhaps see them play a show some time.