Typically, this space is reserved each Friday for the 15 Best Lines from the previous night’s episode of The League on FX. Unfortunately, last night’s The League didn’t provide me with 15 good lines. It didn’t provide me with 5 good lines (the best line all night was Taco’s “Next time, jerk off in your van like a gentleman.”) It wasn’t a very good episode. In fact, there have been several weak episodes this season, and I’ve seen in the comments here readers threatening to quit on The League.
Don’t quit on The League. Never quit on The League.
The League is not like The Office or Modern Family, or even Happy Endings and New Girl. Those shows rely on the audience becoming invested in their characters, and if you destroy the characters, then you kind of destroy the show. That’s what has happened to The Office.
But shows like The League and It’s Always Sunny and Curb Your Enthusiasm feature mostly terribly people who do terrible things. Those shows are not trying to create an emotional attachment. The characters are already awful people; they were destroyed from the beginning. In a good way. These shows are just trying to provoke laughter by putting these characters into funny situations. Often those situations do not ultimately lend themselves to funny episodes, and each of those shows has gone through weak stretches (or even entire seasons). However, both Curb Your Enthusiasm and It’s Always Sunny have bounced back, and even during their weak stretches, they were intermittently hilarious. It’s difficult to maintain a high level of comedy week after week, and there’s a lot of hit-and-miss on these types of shows. But The League WILL rebound. You shouldn’t quit because, as soon as you do, they’ll reel off three brilliant episodes that will make us forget all about the weak ones. Remember Chardee MacDennis? That made up for a lot of bad Sunny episodes, didn’t it? The League’s Chardee MacDennis could be right around the corner.
Besides, here’s 15 More Great Reasons You Should Never, Ever Quit on The League.
1. Because Ruxin’s Dad (Jeff Goldblum) Is Set to Return Later This Season
2. Because Jenny and Kevin Are the Funniest Married Couple on Television
3. Because Sometimes Jenny Will Touch Sofia’s Boob
4. Or Make Out with Shiva
5. Also, Because of Shiva
6. Because Dirty Randy Is Coming Back This Season
7. Because It’s the Only Show Where You Can “Experience” Andre
8. Because They Make Up Great Characters, Like Bobbum Man and Mr. McGibblets
9. Because Every Once in a While, One of Taco’s Bad Business Ideas Turns Into a Real Thing
10. Because Pete Makes Great Faces
11. Because Taco’s Sex Life Is an Endless Source of Amusement
12. Because Lots of Shows Have Incest Plotlines, But Only ‘The League’ Had a FUNNY Incest Plotline
13. Because of Rafi
14. And Also, Rafi Bombs
15. Because Jenny Looks Great Walking Away