Game Of Thrones author George R.R. Martin isn’t happy with falsehoods in reporting about a new project he’s working on while not writing Winds Of Winter, the sixth book of A Song Of Ice And Fire and “t*ts and dragons“. Various articles published over the weekend reported Martin is opening a 30,000-square foot nonprofit film studio in his hometown of Santa Fe, New Mexico, which will soon be used by the Coen brothers for part of their next film shoot.
Those reports weren’t entirely accurate, as Martin wrote on his blog, “I have been taken aback by the sheer amount of bullsh*t that’s been proliferating all over the web about our Stagecoach Foundation initiative.”
He went on to list corrections to the earlier reporting, a list nearly as long as Daenerys Targaryen’s full title:
- The Stagecoach building is not 30,000 square feet. Someone pulled that number out of their ass, and dozens of other reports have repeated it. That’s a rough approximate figure for MEOW WOLF, an entirely different place on the other side of Santa Fe. The Stagecoach building is perhaps a third that size,
- I did not “build” Stagecoach. David Weininger did that in 1999, as the headquarters for his company, Daylight Chemical Information Systems,
- I am not “opening a film studio.” Stagecoach is a non-profit foundation dedicated to bringing more film and television production to Santa Fe, it is not a film studio,
- There are no sound stages at Stagecoach (though there are several here in town, at the Santa Fe Studios and the Greer Garson Studios). It’s an office building, and will be used primarily for pre- and post-production purposes,
- I am not going to be “running” a foundation, much less a studio. That task I’ve given to a dynamic young lady named Marisa X. Jiminez, who helped open Santa Fe Studios here in town, and who will have total charge of the day-to-day operations of Stagecoach, under a board of directors.
He ended his not-a-chapter-from-his-next-book missive with a final plea: “Hey, can people please stop making sh*t up?”
Perhaps. Although it would be cool if one person in particular started making sh*t up about dragons.