Months before ABC canceled Marvel’s Agent Carter — which received half as much attention as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but was at least twice as good — Hayley Atwell landed the lead role in a new series, Conviction. Atwell, an absolute delight, can do no wrong, so Conviction has to be really good, right? Well, ABC released a trailer for the legal drama yesterday, and it looks like an amazing, entertaining, coke-sniffing mess. Let’s count the reasons why:
1. The basic premise: “Lawyer and former First Daughter Hayes Morrison (Atwell) is about to accept a job offered from her sexy nemesis, New York District Attorney Wayne Wallis, to avoid jail time for cocaine possession and avoid hurting her mother’s Senate campaign. Working with his team at the new Conviction Integrity Unit will let her use her brilliant mind to turn over cases, where there is credible suspicion of wrongful conviction, and give her a chance to turn things around with her high-powered political family.”
2. “SEXY NEMESIS.” Also, she’s a former First Daughter!
3. Hayley Atwell, with an American accent, is busted for cocaine possession.
4. Yes, that is Beth from The Walking Dead.
5. “Prison is full of good looking black poster boys.” “That good looking black poster boy, he’s my son.” Maybe my favorite line of dialogue ever.
6. “Go be the boss… boss.”
7. “From a producer of Grey’s Anatomy.” Not the creator of Grey’s Anatomy, or even “the” producer of Grey’s Anatomy, but “a” producer of Grey’s Anatomy.
8. The entire pilot being ruined in a three-minute trailer.
I am going to watch the hell out of this show.