Jermaine Fowler was named to Variety‘s 10 comics to watch list in 2016, and in 2017, we’re all getting the chance with Fowler starring alongside Judd Hirsch in CBS’ Superior Donuts as an energetic artist/donut shop clerk and as a stand-up comic opposite Pete Holmes in HBO’s Crashing, which premieres on Sunday.
Fowler was nice enough to take some time to add his answers to the Uproxx questionnaire series and to reveal that Lupe Fiasco has made him cry, Redman changed his life, and that he’d like to do the same for Nic Cage.
1. You walk into a bar. What do you order from the bartender?
2. Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter and/or Instagram?
3. What’s currently waiting for you on your DVR?
I don’t have a DVR. Smartass.
4. It’s your last meal — what are you going out with?
I’m not answering this question during Black History Month.
5. What websites do you visit on a regular basis?
Forbes, Fast Company, Box Office Mojo, Complex, Fandango, Jermainefowler.com.
6. What’s the most frequently played song on your mobile device?
“4r Da Squaw” by Isaiah Rashad. It used to be “LAXTasy” by Brandon DeShay until I updated my damn iPhone. I’m still pissed.
7. If you could go back and give your 18-year-old self one piece of advice what would it be?
She’s gonna dump you, don’t answer the phone!
8. What’s the last thing you Googled?
“is Kevin Durant a Deer?”
9. Dogs or cats?
I don’t think it’s fair that I have to choose. Though, if I had to…PITBULL PUPPIES!
10. Best concert of your life was…?
Lupe Fiasco May 2009. Cried like a bitch. Food and Liquor changed my life.
11. What book are you most likely to give as a gift?
Art of War by Sun Tzu.
12. What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
When I was 13, I was in a Hollywood Video looking for a movie to rent when I ran into the rapper, Redman. He was my favorite rapper growing up. I had Doc’s Da Name on repeat at the time. I guess he had a show in town. He was the coolest dude and he signed my tank top. That wasn’t nicest thing anyone has ever done for me necessarily, but it motivated me to stay humble. I’ll never not sign a tank top now. Thank you, Redman.
13. South Park or Family Guy?
14. You have an entire day to do whatever you want. What would you do?
Go to Venice Beach, eat a burger for lunch, then go see a movie, and spend the rest of the night performing stand-up.
15. What movie can you not resist watching if it’s on?
16. The sports team or teams you’re most passionate about?
Not a team sports guy. I used to watch skateboarders compete on the X Games because I could blame that one person if he or she lost. Yelling at an entire team is exhausting. If I had to choose, it’d be OKC Thunder. Russell Westbrook is the best basketball player to me right now.
17. Where did you eat the best meal of your life?
Salt’s Cure in Hollywood.
18. The last movie you saw in a theater?
Bye Bye Man. I fell asleep.
19. Who was your first celebrity crush?
It was either Tyra Banks or Rachel Weisz.
20. What would you cook if Nic Cage was coming to your house for dinner?
I’d cook up a financial plan for him.
Crashing debuts on Sunday February 19 at 10:30PM on HBO and Superior Donuts airs on Mondays at 9pm ET on CBS.