Maz Jobrani is an Iranian-American comedian best known for his work with the former “Axis of Evil” comedy group, which landed a Comedy Central special in 2008. A regular panelist on NPR’s Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me! and frequent film and television actor, Jobrani currently stars as the scheming real estate developer Fawz in Superior Donuts on CBS. Last weekend, he recorded a new stand-up special for Netflix at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. that will premiere sometime in the summer. Ahead of his upcoming performance at the Saban Theatre in Beverly Hills on Saturday, April 22nd, Jobrani was nice enough to take some time recently to participate in our twenty questions questionnaire series.
1. You walk into a bar. What do you order from the bartender?
Double Don Julio Anejo on the rocks with lime on the side.
2. Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter and/or Instagram?
3. What’s currently waiting for you on your DVR or in your streaming queue?
CNN’s Believer with Reza Aslan.
4. It’s your last meal — what are you going out with?
A Persian dish called Ghormeh Sabzi — it’s white rice with saffron topped with a vegetable broth. If you haven’t had Persian food, you haven’t lived!
5. What websites do you visit on a regular basis?
CNN.com, The Huffington Post, Washington Post, New York Times, The Guardian.
6. What’s the most frequently played song on your mobile device?
Lately it’s been the soundtrack from the musical Hamilton, as well as La La Land. Not only do I dig it, but so do my six-year-old daughter and eight-year-old old son.
7. If you could go back and give your 18-year-old self one piece of advice what would it be?
To pursue my dreams and passion right away. You only live once, and if you know what you love to do, you shouldn’t be scared. Just dive in!
8. What’s the last thing you Googled?
The name of a guy I ran into but wasn’t sure who he was.
9. Dogs or cats?
Don’t own either, but if I had to it would be a dog.
10. Best concert of your life was…?
David Byrne at the Hollywood Bowl about 10 years ago, with Arcade Fire opening and a rowdy marching band accompanying Byrne.
11. What book are you most likely to give as a gift?
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It’s got life lessons in it encouraging you to live your dreams!
12. What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
People do nice stuff for me all the time. Lately, I’ve been melting anytime my kids write me a sweet note or draw me something nice.
13. South Park or Family Guy?
Love ’em both, but I’ve watched more South Park.
14. You have an entire day to do whatever you want. What would you do?
15. What movie can you not resist watching if it’s on?
Big with Tom Hanks.
16. The sports team or teams you’re most passionate about?
Cal Football and the Oakland A’s.
17. Where did you eat the best meal of your life?
Wow! What a question. I’ve had many. One I remember was a four-hour meal at an Italian restaurant in DC called Obelisk. Great food and great wine!
18. The last movie you saw in a theater?
Usually kid movies with my kids. The LEGO Batman Movie was last.
19. Who was your first celebrity crush?
Derek from the movie 10 with Dudley Moore.
20. What would you cook if Nic Cage were coming to your house for dinner?
Persian bread and cheese with some greens and a bottle of Casa Amigos tequila.
PREVIOUSLY: Henry Zebrowski