What separates the classier, more elegant art form known as professional wrestling from barbaric "sports" like MMA fighting or football is the focus on awesome promos. Wrestlers become distinguishable based as much on their ability to come up with catchy phrases and engage the crowd. Sometimes, they can transcend wrestling and become popular culture icons based solely on their mic work. Over the course of wrestling's rich history, a few have stood out as being the greatest. Here's a list of the 10 best trashtalkers the "sport" has ever seen.
10. C. M. Punk -- Punk is easily the best talker in the biz right now. His straight edge gimmick of talking down to the audience for not being as morally grounded as him is always fascinating to watch. Punk even takes breaks during matches to talk about his straight edge lifestyle. He's the most entertaining talker in wrestling now and will only move up the list in a few years.
Why This Clip Is Awesome -- The man stopped in the middle of the freaking Royal Rumble to talk his ish, imploring fans to join him on the straight-edge. The promo was so awesome that the fans even started to cheer him while he was calling them fat alcoholics.
9. Macho Man Randy Savage -- Macho Man is the Supreme Clientele of wrestling talkers. Nobody knows what he's talking about but it's awesome and pretty hilarious. Scratch the Ghostface reference. Macho Man is more like a real-life Popeye. And we love him for it.
Why This Clip Is Awesome -- A cup o' coffee in the big time! Watch for the dramatic coke-induced black out at the end.
8. Chris Jericho -- Jericho made the greatest debut in WWE history by verbally sparring against The Rock. His career only went uphill after that. Jericho can switch from comedy, to serious, back to absurd. His borderline racist rants against the luchadores are things of beauty.
Why This Clip Is Awesome -- This is just a legendary clip. Granted, The Rock makes it off the charts, but Jericho held his own.
7. Hulk Hogan -- Clearly, Hogan was one of the biggest stars in wrestling history and his catch phrases were a big part of that. Unfortunately, he only said like the same five phrases over and over. Luckily for him that worked well for the kiddie crowd of the '80s.
Why This Clip Is Awesome -- Because you and your friends were in your wrestling draws watching this video on Saturday mornings trying to learn all of his phrases.
6. Roddy Piper -- Don't let his tour de force of acting prowess from <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsZpdUUdd3I">They Live</a> lead you to believe that Roddy saved his greatest lines for the big screen.