The world lost a comedy great today, and it”s clear from Twitter what a great impact he had on so many fellow comedians.
Garry Shandling, best known for the absurdist, pop culture reference-packed comedy in The Larry Sanders Show and It's Garry Shandling”s Show, died on Thursday at age 66. TMZ first reported the news.
Amy Schumer, Paul Feig, Bob Saget, Whoopi Goldberg, Steve Martin, and more voices from the realm of comedy have shared their grief for Shandling on Twitter. Read their tweets below, and read the tribute from HitFix TV critic Alan Sepinwall here.
A moment to celebrate an true, original & tv pioneer and yes 1 of the funniest. Was an honor to know him. Condolences to his family. R.I.P
– Whoopi Goldberg (@WhoopiGoldberg) March 24, 2016
Garry Shandling was as kind and generous as he was funny and that is saying a lot.
– Jimmy Kimmel (@jimmykimmel) March 24, 2016
RIP @GarryShandling. Always a great guy to be around. Gone too soon. Condolences to friends/family/loved ones.
– Orlando Jones (@TheOrlandoJones) March 24, 2016
I'm in shock. pic.twitter.com/nt1qFBWSrQ
– Richard Lewis (@TheRichardLewis) March 24, 2016
RIP the great Garry Shandling. Surely, one of the most influential comedians of a generation.
– Ricky Gervais (@rickygervais) March 24, 2016
I cannot express how much I loved Gary Shandling. The Larry Sanders Show is the best. So sad.
– Ike Barinholtz (@ikebarinholtz) March 24, 2016
Garry Shandling was a very special comedian with a beautifully unpredictable mind. He even voluntarily offered jokes and ideas for Oscars.
– Steve Martin (@SteveMartinToGo) March 24, 2016
To the funniest and brilliant Garry Shandling. Rest in peace Garry.
– bob saget (@bobsaget) March 24, 2016
Gary Shandling was often funny when he was serious. And when he was actually going for it – unparalleled. Bless his soul.
– james l. brooks (@canyonjim) March 24, 2016
The world has lost a comedy giant. An all time great. Hey Now Garry Shandling pic.twitter.com/vXaQW9wM6B
– Howard Stern (@HowardStern) March 24, 2016
What a loss!One of the true comic geniuses ever. I will miss him so much. Can't imagine a world w out Garry's take on things.#GarryShandling
– David Steinberg (@david_steinberg) March 24, 2016
“Larry Sanders” changed my life. I still watch the episodes over and over. He was a hero to me and so many comedians. #RIPGarryShandling
– Andy Kindler (@AndyKindler) March 24, 2016
RIP Garry Shandling. #Irreplaceable
– Michael McKean (@MJMcKean) March 24, 2016
Shocked and saddened to hear about Garry Shandling's sudden death. I was honored to get to work with him. He will be missed.
– Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow) March 24, 2016
#RIPGarryShandling He was so good. So original. There are a bunch of huge stars who got their huge star jobs because Garry passed on them.
– Tom Arnold (@TomArnold) March 24, 2016
Shocked & saddened to hear Gary Shandling has died. A great and innovative artist, he did much to shape modern comedy. #RIPGaryShandling
– Dave Foley (@DaveSFoley) March 24, 2016
Completely unacceptable. Bring Garry Shandling back NOW. This is bullshit.
– Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) March 24, 2016
Update 7:58 p.m. ET: HBO released this statement about Shandling: “Garry ushered in the modern period of original programming at HBO with his brilliant masterpiece, The Larry Sanders Show. All of us at HBO have a special place in our hearts for him not only for his enormous talent but for his kindness and decency. We will miss him terribly.”