“It [has] the most shocking ending ever and there should be a law passed stating that anybody who reveals the last five minutes of this film should be hung from their neck until dead,” said Stephen King of The Mist, Frank Darabont's adaptation of his classic novella. He wasn't kidding! While many appreciated the bleaker-than-bleak denouement of the 2007 horror film — which I will not reveal here for fear of being lynched — many others, myself included, were not particularly keen on Darabont's version (it bears mentioning that King's novella ended on a more hopeful note).
With today's news (via Variety) that Spike has ordered the pilot for a TV series adaptation of the book, I'm here with a friendly reminder that people are still not over the ending of this damn movie. So not over it, in fact, that even in the days and weeks and months preceding today's news people have been tweeting about it practically non-stop — even though the film is now more than eight years old:
Ok, but do we all agree that The Mist has the most effed up ending ever?
– Perkins (@theonewitheone) February 25, 2016
Stephen King's short story The Mist was a great read. The film adaptation was good, but the ridiculous ending ruined it for me.
– Tony (@dsgruntled_goat) February 25, 2016
@StephenKing the mist had the worst ending!!! #why
– michellortega (@michellortega27) February 25, 2016
Darabont's adaptation of The Mist was great, and I haven't watched it again because of that ending. Fitting but super fucking depressing.
– Ali Arikan (@aliarikan) February 25, 2016
the ending of the mist fucked me up i can't get over it
– kaylee (@dontwantofeeI) February 25, 2016
The movie “The Mist” has a fucked up ending
– SWOOBS (@TheNames_Swoobs) February 25, 2016
I think the saddest/best/worst/most gut wrenching movie ending goes to The Mist.
– tb (@Birot1) February 23, 2016
every single time I watch The Mist I'm reminded of how much it sucks and how it has the worst movie ending ever
– mabuJAMinay (@jourdhelmabunay) February 21, 2016
The ending of The Mist makes me want to go to sleep forever
– Slob on my Knobokov (@Magnum_Steelrod) February 19, 2016
The perfect memes to sum up The Mist's ending pic.twitter.com/S6QsVynJmC
– voldetort (@niknajiyaaa) February 17, 2016
I could watch “Saw V” every day for the rest of my life and be fine, but nothing has scarred me like the film ending to “The Mist”.
– Jessica (@BandGeekJess) February 16, 2016
I'm still not over the ending of The Mist tho
– Nikki Necropolis (@acid_fetish_toy) February 16, 2016
If anyone ever wants to witness the worst ending to a movie in all of existence watch 'The Mist'
– Miranda (@miranda_maee) February 12, 2016
THE ENDING OF THE MIST PISSES ME OFF SO MUCH
– savannah (@queen_savannahh) February 12, 2016
Oh great The Mist is on, the movie with the most depressing ending of all time
– Eric Panick (@EricPanick20) February 12, 2016
I know I'm 9 years late, but the ending of The Mist messed me up, man.
– Paige Allison (@PaigeAllisonD) February 12, 2016
The ending of The Mist emotionally damaged me.
– Olivia (@OGsportyspice) January 28, 2016
The ending of “The Mist” fucked my whole life up.
– Chill Pill Addict (@black_gallagher) January 25, 2016
the ending to the mist is so fucked up and it fucked me up emotionally I CAN NO t
– kaylen (@vegetapal) January 19, 2016
the fog makes me think of The Mist then I get mad because the ending to that movie was BULLSHIT
– Arabella (@cynthiarellaa) January 18, 2016
Dude fuck the ending of The Mist https://t.co/Ly0mlgIGmB
– tracy (@_tracynichole) January 5, 2016
Just accidentally punched myself in the stomach way too hard trying to explain to @FreakingIdiom what the ending of THE MIST feels like
– Leah Rabe (@LeahRabe) January 3, 2016
The ending to the mist will always fuck me up. ALWAYS
– Christopher Thornton (@Mistochristopho) December 26, 2015
Here's the clip! Prepare to be shattered forever, again.