One of the funniest (or at least most iconic) moments of the Attitude Era was undoubtedly when D-Generation X invaded WCW Monday Nitro. Raw and Nitro were running only minutes away from one another on that fateful day in 1998, so Triple H, X-Pac, Chyna and the New Age Outlaws camouflaged themselves up, climbed aboard a “tank” (aka a Jeep, but don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story, Trips) and headed to the Scope in Norfolk, Virginia for an afternoon full of dick jokes and … well, mostly dick jokes.
Well, what’s old is new again: Yesterday, the Bullet Club staged their own invasion of WWE, which was running Monday Night Raw at the Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, California — just minutes from where the Bullet Club had been doing a signing at a local mall.
So together, Cody Rhodes, the Young Bucks, Hangman Page, Marty Scurll and Brandi Rhodes rallied the troops and took a stretch Hummer (or a tank, whatever) to the scene, where a few hundred of their fans joined them. And of course, the whole thing was captured for an episode of BC’s “Being The Elite” YouTube show, and to be honest, it’s worth watching all the way through.
- Cody Rhodes stating his mission is to get his last name back
- The Young Bucks uttering this incredible line: “I should have every right to put my hands in the air, point to my genitalia and say, ‘Suck it!'”
- Cody delivering Bill Pullman’s epic speech from Independence Day, verbatim, resulting in the most sincere “U-S-A!” chant you’ve ever heard
- In the background during Cody’s speech, there’s a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it cameo from a full-on Paul Blart mall cop lookalike — atop a Segway, no less
- In an eerie similarity, the Bullet Club meets a guy who had free tickets to that night’s Raw, mirroring the DX invasion even more, when it was revealed that Nitro was papering the house
- By far the best part is when the Bullet Club gets close to the arena and starts yelling out for former BC members Luke Gallows, Karl Anderson and Finn Bálor, earnestly pleading, “We’re here to rescue you!” (Reports that Gallows and Anderson tried to escape the arena are unconfirmed but probably accurate.)
It was just as entertaining on social media:
For those who want to re-live the original DX invasion, we’ve got two words for ya: Click below.