Here are your quick and dirty, editorial-free WWE Smackdown Live results for May 2, 2017. This week’s episode featured a United States Championship rematch from Payback between Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens, and Randy Orton dealing with Jinder Mahal’s theft of his title.
Be back here tomorrow for the full Best and Worst of Smackdown column.
WWE Smackdown Live Results:
— The show opened with Shane McMahon welcoming Chris Jericho to Smackdown Live. He talked about how Jericho is defending the United States Championship against Kevin Owens tonight, and AJ Styles came out. Styles talked about how a lot has changed since they were partners and then feuded, and that he will take Jericho’s title at Backlash … if Jericho is still champ by the end of the night. Jericho was about to put Styles on the list when Owens came out. Owens said the Festival of Friendship will be nothing compared to tonight. He then said he hasn’t forgotten about Styles. Owens and Styles brawled on the ramp until officials broke it up.
1. Jinder Mahal defeated Sami Zayn. The Singh brothers got involved, and Mahal pinned Zayn after the cobra clutch slam.
2. Tye Dillinger defeated Aiden English. Dillinger hit a new version of the Tye Breaker to get the pinfall victory.
3. Carmella and Natalya defeated Naomi and Charlotte Flair. Charlotte had been beaten down backstage by the Welcoming Committee, so she wasn’t able to come to the ring until halfway through the match. James Ellsworth distracted Naomi, allowing Carmella to roll her up for the three-count.
— After the match, the Welcoming Committee beat down Charlotte and Naomi until Becky Lynch came out. She pretended to join the Welcoming Committee, but instead threw Ellsworth into the other three and attacked them. The Welcoming Committee laid out all three of the babyfaces and then posed in the ring.
4. Dolph Ziggler defeated Sin Cara. Ziggler won via pinfall after a superkick.
— Breezango debuted a new Law & Order spoof vignette called “The Fashion Files.”
5. United States Championship Match: Kevin Owens defeated Chris Jericho (c). Owens hit a DDT on the floor and then three pop-up powerbombs to get the pin.
— After the match, Owens hit another pop-up powerbomb on Jericho, then tried to hit another, but Jericho collapsed. Trainers and referees tried to help Jericho to the back, but Owens ran back out and put Jericho’s head in a chair, then sent him into the ringpost.