Here are your quick and dirty, editorial-free AEW Dynamite results for October 9, 2019. The show featured a round one match in the AEW Tag Team Championship tournament, Jon Moxley vs. Shawn Spears, a very goth number one contender’s match, and more. Make sure you’re here tomorrow for the complete Ins and Outs of All Elite Wrestling column.
AEW Dynamite Results:
1. AEW Tag Team Championship Tournament First Round Match: Private Party defeated The Young Bucks. Marq Quen countered the Meltzer Driver into a roll-up and pinned Matt Jackson to win the match, knocking the Bucks out of the tournament. Private Party celebrated in the crowd throughout the commercial break.
– Chris Jericho cut a promo with his new team, putting over each member and naming them the “Inner Circle.” He also declared that “We the People” chants for Jake Hager were a bad idea from bad creative and that it’s “dead and buried.” Jericho put down the Rhodes Family, saying he thought Dusty was a jerk and Dustin is a moron he’s going to beat up later tonight.
2. Number One Contender Match: Darby Allin defeated Jimmy Havoc. Allin won with a Coffin Drop, and will challenge Chris Jericho for the AEW Championship on next week’s Dynamite.
3. Riho and Dr. Britt Baker defeated Emi Sakura and Bea Priestly. Baker tapped out Sakura to her dentist-accurate mandible claw submission. After the match, Priestly got in Baker’s face and the two scrapped until the referee separated them.
– Best Friends were interviewed about next week’s tournament match against SCU. Orange Cassidy gave them a thumbs up.
4. Jon Moxley defeated Shawn Spears. PAC sat in on commentary and complained about not getting the opportunities he deserves. Tully Blanchard repeatedly interfered, but Moxley was able to win with a Paradigm Shift. After the match, Kenny Omega showed up with a barbed wire baseball bat and a barbed wire broom. He tossed the bat to Moxley, challenging him, but PAC attacked Omega from behind with a chair. Moxley walked away.
5. Chris Jericho and Sammy Guevara defeated Dustin Rhodes and ‘Hangman’ Adam Page. Jericho pinned Rhodes with the Judas Effect after interference from Jake Hager. Hager and Page fought to the back, leaving Jericho and Guevara to beat down Rhodes 2-on-1.
Cody made the save (via a blackout of the lights) and took out Guevara, but was attacked by Santana and Ortiz. MJF showed up with a steel chair and teased a heel turn, but attacked the Inner Circle. Jericho then knocked out MJF, and the Young Bucks had to make another save. Jericho tried to leave with the AEW Championship over his head, but Darby Allin skateboarded down the ramp and attacked him. The faces stood tall, and the night ended with Jericho telling Allin that next week will be his funeral.