Here are your quick and dirty, editorial-free WWE Smackdown Live results for July 23, 2019. The show (which was not a reunion of any kind) featuring Kofi Kingston naming his challenger for SummerSlam, Shawn Michaels appearing on Miz TV, and more. Make sure you’re here tomorrow for the complete Best and Worst of Smackdown Live column.
WWE Smackdown Live Results:
– Shane McMahon opened the show with a promo accepting Kevin Owens’ challenge for a match at SummerSlam, where if Owens loses, he’ll quit WWE. McMahon shows footage of the previous time Owens quit and makes fun of him. Owens interrupts and says that’s not the person he is anymore. Owens threatens violence, so McMahon makes Owens vs. Roman Reigns for later in the night with Drew McIntyre as special guest referee and Elias as timekeeper.
– Xavier Woods and Big E (along with David Otunga, subbing in for Byron Saxton) were on commentary for the early portion of the show.
1. Shinsuke Nakamura defeated Apollo Crews. Nakamura won with a Kinshasa, and continued beating down Crews after the match.
– Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville will get a match against the IIconics next week, and if they win they’ll get a Women’s Tag Team Championship match.
– Shawn Michaels was a guest on Miz TV. Dolph Ziggler interrupted and called Michaels embarrassing. Michaels called Ziggler a second-rate Shawn Michaels. Ziggler hit Miz and superkicked Michaels.
2. Ember Moon defeated Charlotte Flair via roll-up in about 20 seconds after a distraction from Bayley. After the match, Moon rolled Bayley into the ring and hit the Eclipse on both women.
– Charlotte said that she will be at SummerSlam, and that her opponent will be better than Ember Moon.
– Kofi Kingston challenged Randy Orton to face him in a WWE Championship match at SummerSlam, and brought up their history from Madison Square Garden 10 years ago. Orton agreed to the match, promising to end the “fairy tale” of Kingston’s WWE Championship run.
3. Kofi Kingston defeated Samoa Joe by disqualification when Randy Orton interfered. Orton tried to RKO Kingston, but Kingston avoided it. Orton hit an RKO on Joe, allowing Kingston to hit Trouble in Paradise on Orton.
– Finn Bálor challenged Bray Wyatt to a match at SummerSlam. Firefly Funhouse host Bray accepted on behalf of The Fiend.
4. Kevin Owens vs. Roman Reigns (with ring announcer Shane McMahon, referee Drew McIntyre, and timekeeper Elias) ended quickly when Reigns attacked McIntyre. Owens and Reigns fought off McMahon’s group, ending with a Superman Punch and Stunner to McMahon. The crowd chanted “one more time,” so Owens hit a second Stunner on McMahon.