Super Mario Run — Nintendo’s first mobile Mario Bros. game — just released on Thursday for iPhones, iPads, and iPods running iOS 8.0 or later. It won’t have a version for Android until 2017, not that I’m bitter about that or anything (I type, while contemplating chucking my $35 phone into a lake).
We’ve already seen how the one-handed side-scroller plays, but players may not yet know how to unlock every one of the six playable characters, who have slightly different abilities. You start with Mario, and here’s a brief run-down of how you get the other five playable characters:
- Toad — Link Super Mario Run to your My Nintendo Account. Then you simply redeem the character for free from within the app or at My Nintendo Rewards.
- Luigi — Build Luigi’s house while in Mushroom Kingdom mode. You’ll need to win 150 green Toads and 150 purple Toads in Toad Rally Mode to pay for this house.
- Yoshi — Build Yoshi’s house while in Mushroom Kingdom mode. You’ll need to win 30 red Toads and 30 yellow Toads in Toad Rally Mode to pay for this house.
- Princess Peach — Beat all 24 levels of the main game. This one is going to cost you the $9.99 for the full version of the game, as the free version doesn’t include all the levels.
- Toadette — This one also requires the $9.99 version of the game, as you need to unlock Peach before you can unlock Toadette. You’ll also need to build Toadette’s house while in Mushroom Kingdom mode. To build it, you need to win 200 of each five colors of toads in Toad Rally Mode.
Super Mario Run is available now on iOS. But not Android. Bah humbug.
(Via Screen Rant)