Here are your quick and dirty, editorial-free WWE SummerSlam 2016 results for the August 21, 2016, show. The event was headlined by Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Orton, as well as a match for the brand new WWE Universal Championship and a card full of championship bouts.
Be back here tomorrow for the complete Best and Worst of WWE SummerSlam 2016 column.
WWE SummerSlam Results:
1. The Usos, American Alpha and The Hype Bros defeated Breezango, The Ascension and The Vaudevillains. Jey Uso won the match for his team after a splash on Simon Gotch of the Vaudevillains.
2. Sami Zayn and Neville defeated The Dudley Boyz. Neville won the match for his team with a Red Arrow.
3. Best of 7 Series Match 1: Sheamus defeated Cesaro, Sheamus picked up the first win in the best-of-7 series with a Brogue Kick.
4. Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens defeated Enzo Amore and Big Cass. Jericho pinned Amore after a Kevin Owens pop-up into a Jericho Codebreaker.
5. WWE Women’s Championship Match: Charlotte defeated Sasha Banks (c). Charlotte regained the Championship after countering the Banks Statement into a pinfall.
6. Intercontinental Championship Match: The Miz (c) defeated Apollo Crews. The Miz retained the Intercontinental Championship after a Skull-crushing Finale.
7. AJ Styles defeated John Cena. Styles pinned Cena after a Styles Clash and a Phenomenal Forearm with his elbow pad removed.
8. WWE Tag Team Championship Match: The Club defeated The New Day (c) by disqualification. The New Day had help from former Daily Show host Jon Stewart. Stewart interfered to distract the Club and almost got injured, but Big E made a big return and attacked The Club to draw the DQ. The titles don’t change hands on a disqualification.
9. WWE Championship Match: Dean Ambrose (c) defeated Dolph Ziggler. Ambrose retained the WWE Championship after countering a top-rope facebuster attempt into Dirty Deeds.
10. Nikki Bella, Natalya and Alexa Bliss defeated Becky Lynch, Carmella and Naomi. A returning Nikki Bella pinned Carmella after hitting her new finisher, a fireman’s carry into a cutter.
11. WWE Universal Championship Match: Finn Bálor as “The Demon King” defeated Seth Rollins. Finn Bálor became the first WWE Universal Champion after a series of dropkicks and a Coup de Grace on Rollins.
– Roman Reigns vs. Rusev for the United States Championship never happened. The match erupted into a brawl before it could even begin, and Rusev was announced as medically unable to compete.
12. Brock Lesnar defeated Randy Orton. Lesnar won a shockingly quick match via TKO after a slashing elbow busted Orton open and apparently knocked him out. Shane McMahon showed up to help and got F-5’d for his troubles.