Patrick Kane’s accuser in the investigation of the alleged sexual assault at his home on Aug. 2 has stopped cooperating with prosecutors, according to sources for The Buffalo News.
The woman has told the Erie County district attorney that the investigation has caused a tremendous amount of stress on her and her family, and that she no longer wishes to participate.
The alleged victim spoke to investigators at the District Attorney’s Office at length last week, and after that, signed a document called an “affidavit declining prosecution,” which is now under consideration by District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III, one of the sources said.
“She was no longer interested in going forward,” another source told The News.
The investigation began in early August, when the woman accused Kane of sexual assault during a private party at Kane’s Buffalo, New York-area home after the two had met earlier in the night at a bar. She went to a local hospital to have a rape kit performed, and police were called to Kane’s house later that morning.
Since that time, the case has taken odd turns and became a bit of a media circus. On Sept. 23, the accuser’s former lawyer, Thomas Eoannou, held a press conference and levied accusations against Buffalo’s law enforcement that questioned the manner in which his client’s physical evidence had been handled. The next day, however, Eoannou admitted that he had been mislead by the accuser’s mother, and he promptly withdrew from the case.
It is now up to Sedita on how he proceeds, if at all. However, based on this new information, it is unlikely that charges against Kane will be filed.
(Via Buffalo News)